1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identify this tobias bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Aug 30, 2008.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    sn is 01015883

identity, year, and value?

This could be a tobias toby pro? or classic? or basic? something else?

2966_1.

29e1_1.

2a7d_1.

2b0c_1.

2. Not a Spector at all. Tobias.

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    oops thats wjat I meant. geez i must be tired LOL

I had the post right but the title wrong. I just got done working on my spector that's what it was.

4. Uh huh.... :)

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Toby Pro

6. Yep, it's a Toby Pro. I can tell by the 4 knob lay out and the Tobias pickups. The US models have the Bartolini pickups and the 5 knob lay out, well the Gibson models do. I had a 5 string Toby and I modded it with a pair of Bart quad coil xxM45c pickups. Man that bass sounded awesome.

7. Capn, I just can't help LOLing when I see your avatar. Just thought I'd mention it. :D

8. Thanks. I saw it and I just had to get it. Funny stuff on the internet these days!

9. And in real life too. I remember going to high school with a guy with hair almost this big. :D

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    so how much is a 4 string toby pro worth?

11. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Well here was the auction. I have not paid for the bass and if indeed it is a toby pro I wont be paying for it but I will help the seller get his fees back (mutually withdrawn transaction.) I think this is fair since the bass doesn't match the title but I believe the seller honestly wasn't sure from what he added to the auction at the end. If this is indeed a classic or basic it is a steal and I want to be sure before I withdraw from payment. Let me know what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320291340124

12. Depending on condition, I'd say anywhere from $350-$450. I bought mine for a little over $500 but it was a five string and a Deluxe model.

13. He says it's American made but it seems to have the same layout and pickups as the Asian made Toby Pros. I don't know, either I'm wrong or he's wrong, but I know that the Toby Pros have those same pickups and preamp knob layout. If they built those here first it would be the first time I've heard of it.

14. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I wonder if he is GUESSING it is made in the US or if it actually says that somewhere. I should ask for pics of it.

15. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Also if this bass does say american made on it where exactly would it say it and what would it look like? (pics please if you got them.)

16. Here's some pics of my old one. Maybe you can see some comparisons. I did mod out the old pickups to Bartolinis but it had the Tobias pickups just like the one in the auction. My guess isthat it would say "Made In USA" on the back of the headstock. Mine says "Made In Korea" right there.

bassfolder021.
    bassfolder016.
    CIMG0181.
    bassfolder005.

Here's a pic of a modern US Tobias.
    tobias.

17. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I am convinced it is a toby pro because of the bridge and pickups but I will give him a chance to show me something that says made in USA

18. Yeah, talk to him first. I could be wrong and they may have made a US model with those same control layout and pickups but like I said, I never saw one before. I hope I'm not confusing you. I just hate it when people get robbed on ebay or Criagslist.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's a Toby Pro, and the seller is either lying or smoking crack.

20. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt and assume he might simply not know, but yes, the bass is definitely a Toby Pro.

Mike