1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help identifying a basket case bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksdaddy, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I just bought this project bass online. It's dated 1981 and is serial number 006. I have no idea who might have made it. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. baby mothman???

[​IMG]

3. Larva

4. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    That looks like a VERY early Wishbass.

Google it, find his website and email him a pic.

Matt

5. GrafZeppelin

GrafZeppelin

Jan 5, 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing artist: Yamaha basses, Barefaced cabinets, Two-Notes Engineering preamps and cabinet simulators, Ultimate Ears IEM, Slickbag gigbags
    It has a few BC Rich-esque elements to it and the "arrow cut" in the headstock is something I've seen on Bernie Rico Jr:s (his sons company) guitars. Maybe something Jr built in the early 80's?

6. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I googled some Rico Jr instruments and you're right, he did use that arrow-ish design often. I haven't found a very good timeline as to his instrument making history, just his father's.

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Sorry, but I have no idea who or what. It's interesting looking, even though it's wrong handed (for me). I have a couple of projects that might use a little inspiration from that body, but definitely not with a pickup in that position; it looks like a disaster waiting to happen.:eek:

8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I am praying there is not an 007

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    Idk what it is , but its cool. Where was this found?

10. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Early Ken Smith?

11. A crazy person?

I've never seen a body before that looked like it was just waiting to break in half.

12. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    Rough crowd....