1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dawyeah, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    So i'm picking up this bass, it's pretty old and really cheap - it's more for decoration than anything. Though they say it plays pretty well too. We'll see...

But I've never seen a headstock scroll just... flat before. Does anyone know if this is a particular brand... some kind of student model?

Thanks for looking.

57a2283131b64e62a4e9cd788fa15d84.

718d61f271f94ed68499dd5e80352b70.

2. That's a Kay or early Engelhardt. The scrolls are glued on and often get knocked off. My luthier buddy calls that "the Van Gogh."

3. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    The scrolls are glued on to a lot of basses. Going by the tailpiece, tuners and scroll, I'd say it's a kay or Engelhardt but others much better than I should comment first... I just wanted to guess and see if I got it right

edit: WOO HOO!

4. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    I thought it was a Kay looking at the front. And IIRC Engelhardt uses the Kay molds now. So they should be the same.

Didn't know about the glue on scrollwork. Wonder if I could find replacements. Van Gogh lol.

5. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    Any experts know what size that is? looks a little small maybe 1/2... Maybe they just have really big furniture lol