1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying a Fender 51 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuba, May 23, 2011.

1. tuba

tuba

May 6, 2008
    A guy offered me what he says is a Fender 51 Precision with an Allparts replacement neck in a trade. He said it was made in Japan, and also thinks is was re-finished by the previous owner.

Would there be any markings in the neck cavity that would confirm this is a made in Japan Fender? And would the heel of the neck have anything to identify it as an Allparts? And finally, what do you think it would be worth if it is what he says it is?

I posted 4 pictures of the bass here. Looks pretty sweet: https://picasaweb.google.com/2tubas/51Precision?authkey=Gv1sRgCLihrviM8PyYbA#

Thaks for any help you can offer.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Allparts necks are stamped with ALLPARTS in the underside of the pocket area so you can't see it when bolted together.

Also the Japan bodies do have their item number stamp in the pocket, something like OPB51 or something very close to it

I dig it in that green finish, much better than schoolbus yellow. "worth"? I dont know.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    $400, tops, and I personally wouldn't go that high.

At the end of the day, this is nothing but a parts bass with nothing but the body and a few hardware bits original (if that), and you couldn't scrap it for more.

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    it obviously a re issue of course

5. Any Fender is technically a "parts bass". :ninja:

6. tuba

tuba

May 6, 2008
    Thank you for the replies. The owner is going to remove the neck and take some pictures. I will post them here in case anybody wants to see them.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    maybe so, but they're worth quite a bit more when ALL of the parts are original and made by Fender.

8. I tried telling this dude a few weeks ago since he switched out a bunch of stuff, the price should be down. But he was very stingy and refused to lower the price.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Walk.

There's always another deal.

10. tuba

tuba

May 6, 2008
    OkkultistBass...you spoke to the guy in San Diego who owns this bass? What was he trying to sell it for?

11. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Pretty sweet looking, even though I'm not a huge fan of that green. If He's asking too much walk away, or give it some time to see if He'll reconsider on the price. Asking price can be mysteriously lowered when somebody has to sit on something for a while.

12. He said the lowest he would go was $400. I offered $200 since there really wasn't anything "original" about it.
    He seemed determined to get $400.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's worth a bit more than $200 in scrap value, but never pay more than scrap value for a homemade parts bass or a substantially user-modded one.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If it plays really well then maybe it's worth more than $200. I haven't seen too many MIJ bodies of that style around, but I have seen quite a few Squiers so that would be a concern of mine.

15. I didn't believe the guy when he said it was MIJ. He wouldn't give me a year either.

16. tuba

tuba

May 6, 2008
    I figured if the body could be verified as Made in Japan, and it played well I'd value it at $350 in a trade deal. But I haven't revceived the pictures from him yet and it looks like I now have a straight up buyer for the bass I'm selling anyways.

Thanks again for the insight.

17. What bass are you selling?
    If you don't mind me asking.

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Really?! you haven't seen the Japan 51 reissue hanging in every major and mom-n-pop store since 1991?

The Squier version bass has a contoured body like a 55.

19. tuba

tuba

May 6, 2008
    Gibson SG Reissue Bass