Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identifying a mystery bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nfn15037, Dec 24, 2004.

1. nfn15037

nfn15037

Feb 5, 2004
    I found this bass guitar for sale in a local classifies ad. It looks it be well made but I am unsure of the maker. The seller says the headstock says "Mailet". It is a decent looking neck-through fretless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are some pix of it. If anyone has any possible info or insights on this instrument I would be much appreciative. I will probably make an appointment to go look at it, and for $100 I probably can't go wrong but I figured I would ask the experts :)

2. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    mabe try run a google search on it.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+ 1
    looks like a home made , Carvin Bunny Brunel model .
    i like it !! :cool:

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah looks homemade. Did a decent job at making it look like a Carvin though.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The shape of the curve inside the horns reminds me of a Peavey Cirrus. Looks nice, looks like a neck I'd like to play. I'd say check it out. If there's nothing horribly wrong with it's a great deal at $100! Doesn't look like a master luthier's finest work, but I've seen much worse! It's attractive, and neckthrough to boot. Headstock looks like my old Aria Pro II, a design I've always liked and thought it was wasted on cheap basses. At that price, if the rest of it is good you could afford to change the pickups in the future if you think it could sound better. I'd buy it, I think it's cool having instruments that make people ask 'What kind of bass is that?"

6. nfn15037

nfn15037

Feb 5, 2004
    Cool thanks guys! I am going to look at it tomorrow, I will probably get it if only to use the neck-through on another project or maybe just play it as-is to have a nice fretless in the collection. It is owned by a Berklee college of music student, so it can't be that bad :D

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Yah Berklee has such huge entrance requirements. Things like your check not bouncing and then you're in. Hmmmm credibility anybody.