Help identifying a poorly treated P-bass I'm rescuing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by False Light, Dec 14, 2020.

1. False Light

False Light

Oct 2, 2009
    Hello all! I bought this interesting looking fella online thinking I'd have a good project for a drop-B bass. It had a fender-shape and string-through, so that was promising. Finally got it in the mail, took it a part, and unfortunately I didn't see any serial numbers, or identifying marks on the body. Pretty sure this weird grey/blue is an amateur job. Underneath it looks like it was black or natural.

Didn't see any screw-holes near the bridge area that would fit a bridge that I know of. The only holes I saw were for this weird bridge with huge honkin brass saddles.

The neck was aftermarket. Pickups were well-worn and had no identifying marks, pots were all Mouser with a SAM HWA 24473 cap on the tone. The ground tube going from the pots housing to the bridge was super thin and came of of the screw-holes of the bridge, so that's making me think it's not fender. Also the lack of those weird random pointless 3/4" holes they drill into the body.

What is this beast? While it was still put together it sounded great, so I don't regret the purchase. Just real curious.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've tried looking blindly at images of fender bass bodies, Kramer, Peavey, and such but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That unusual neck pocket route should help with the identification, but I don’t know what it is. :speechless:

False Light likes this.
  3. kevin wells

kevin wells

Aug 11, 2016
    Texas
    I dunno but I've bought no - name wall hangers in various stores in town, no serial numbers, no identifiers at all. I would perform maybe pick up swaps, clean up fret ends, other minor adjustments, then pass them on. That would be my guess.

False Light likes this.
  4. Mr Dad G

Mr Dad G

Aug 31, 2018
    The big brass bridge saddles look like an Epiphone Accu-Bass, but the neck pocket isn’t right for that. Maybe somebody modified it to fit a different neck?

5. False Light

False Light

Oct 2, 2009
    Just looked up the Accu-Bass, that's spot on! Thanks! Looks like they routed out the neck pocket for truss-rod adjustment of a new neck. That makes total sense now. My first Epiphone!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021