Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identifying an Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I was playing a Marshall amp at practive today, i cant find it on thier site, it had "BUG" on it, and had a solid state and valve blend dial

Was about 3 rack units in size (was in rack specifically for the head by the looks of things)

Also had a 2x15 speaker cabinet

I just really liked the sound, first time ive gotten to try a mix of ss and tube pre, and i liked it! (bar the fact the pre tube was crap/noisey/possibly microphonic [a cross between a quiet sqeal and background hum whenever i wasnt touching the strings] )

I took along my BDDI, as i always do, but didnt need it, was really impressed with the amp

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    hmmm, sounds a bit like one of the DB series amps. I think they were the rack ones with a valve in the preamp.
    Black and Gold colour?

http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DBS hbk Eng.pdf is the manual for one, but it doesnt show a clear pick of the amp.

Apparently *these* amps had a special poweramp that was rated at say 400Watts RMS, but was able to peak much higher than a standard power amp.. .. something daft like 4k heh heh!

ah! found it here:-

http://www.marshallamps.com/heritage/dbs/dbs_01.asp
    this the one?

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    yup, thats the bit i was looking for!

4. Woah, yeah thats it, it was a 7400 with a 7215 cab, damn, pity they dont make them anymore, was a really nice rig, gonna have to book that room more often, the "Bug" bit must have been a band logo that was sprayed on or something, but yeah, very nice amp, thanks for helping ID it!

Very interesting bit on the power section!