Help identifying an Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I was playing a Marshall amp at practive today, i cant find it on thier site, it had "BUG" on it, and had a solid state and valve blend dial

Was about 3 rack units in size (was in rack specifically for the head by the looks of things)

Also had a 2x15 speaker cabinet

I just really liked the sound, first time ive gotten to try a mix of ss and tube pre, and i liked it! (bar the fact the pre tube was crap/noisey/possibly microphonic [a cross between a quiet sqeal and background hum whenever i wasnt touching the strings] )

I took along my BDDI, as i always do, but didnt need it, was really impressed with the amp

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Positive Grid, Barefaced Bass
    hmmm, sounds a bit like one of the DB series amps. I think they were the rack ones with a valve in the preamp.
    Black and Gold colour?

http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DBS hbk Eng.pdf is the manual for one, but it doesnt show a clear pick of the amp.

Apparently *these* amps had a special poweramp that was rated at say 400Watts RMS, but was able to peak much higher than a standard power amp.. .. something daft like 4k heh heh!

ah! found it here:-

http://www.marshallamps.com/heritage/dbs/dbs_01.asp
    this the one?

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Positive Grid, Barefaced Bass
    yup, thats the bit i was looking for!

4. Woah, yeah thats it, it was a 7400 with a 7215 cab, damn, pity they dont make them anymore, was a really nice rig, gonna have to book that room more often, the "Bug" bit must have been a band logo that was sprayed on or something, but yeah, very nice amp, thanks for helping ID it!

Very interesting bit on the power section!