Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identifying and pricing a Hofner Violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rowka, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    A local shop owner took this in on consignment and is having difficulty identifiying the model and potential price.

Hofner violin bass.
    No serial number.
    2 pickups.
    Headstock logo is chromed plastic.
    Set neck.
    2 knobs, 3 switches.
    Mother of Toilet Seat pick guard and control plate.

Any thoughts?

2. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    more pics

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Looking at it it could date 70's maybe early 80's what is the asking price?.The serial number should be on the back of the headstock.

4. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's part of the thing. There is no serial number on the bass.

I am trying to help him figure out what it's worth to set an asking price.

We don't know if it is very common or an under-bead treasure.

5. I'm almost positive Thats not a 70's or 80's bass. I'd say mid 60's. The 70's and 80's basses had the Blade pickups, different logo and different knobs. I could be wrong though, I dont know too much about hofners.

But looks too shiny and new to be old... I'm stumped!
    maybe a newer reissue? but I didnt know they made a post '64 reissue.

Try asking here... http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm76

6. MAJOR METAL

The finish makes me think it is from the 70's.

7. But 70's basses didnt have staple pole pickups, "teacup" knobs and the plastic logo.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    This is a 65-66. Most likely, a 66. To be sure remove the two screws holding the control panel in place and look at the volume pots for the codes stamped into them.
    They will read 250k_ _ _.

The three blank numbers will be the date (week/year) the pots were manufactured. A pot with the code 250k236 would have been made during the 23rd week of 66.
    A pot with the code 250k455 would have been during the 45th week of 1965.

Hofner were making so many 500/1 basses during the mid 60's every pot that arrived from their supplier was immediately installed in a bass. That means, you can be pretty sure that the bass was assembled within 2-4 weeks of the pot code date.

As far as value goes, it will vary. I've seen them go for as much as $2500.00 and as little as $500.00 and that's a big spread.

The biggest issue with all mid 60's Hofner 500/1 basses is that the neck usually needs to be reset which costs approximately $200.00 to $250.00 to have done. Check to make sure that the neck has been reset if it hasn't then the value of the bass will be lower.

Good luck

TD

9. MAJOR METAL

Cool , i got to get myself a Cavern Bass one day.