1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying bass + diagram

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thislooks, May 4, 2010.

1. thislooks

thislooks

Apr 21, 2009
    Hi all!
    A friend's wife just found this bass while doing some late spring cleaning in her mother's house; it belonged to her brother who passed away more than 15 years ago.

There's no information on it as what the make or model is, only the word 'Japan' is stamped on the plate holding the neck. Looking around the 'net I found out that it seems to be a Univox bass, but again, not even a serial number.

I plugged it in and although there's a lot of false contacts, there was some sound coming out from the pickups, although they seemed to be way too microphonic, amplifying every little tap on the wood --it was so bad I started singing through one of the pickups and it was working! The downside is that the strings hardly registered, and it sounded very, very hollow.

I looked at the controls and it struck me as funny that one of them --volume I think-- has a switch that is actuated when you turn it all the way CCW, (it is disconnected, anyhow). Then I saw the connections and could see there were a lot of bad solder joints, and then I reaized that the volume control -the one with the switch- was only 10Kohms! The other one which I think is tone is 500Kohms. I drew the schematic diagram and it doesn't make any sense (I drew the DPDT switches as single pole, since they are bridged, and single throw on those that are not connected all the way.) Somebody tried fixing it, but I'm not sure what they were looking for...

The tunning pegs have been messed with; three of them are missing the ferrules and one of them is missing the whole peg where the string wraps around.

So...
    What I'm asking is for someone to help me get the wiring diagram for this bass (I think I'll have to replace the 10Kohm pot), and I feel there are too many caps, but that's just me. Also, I've been away too long from electronics and don't remember how to read the cap values, so I'm not even sure what their value is.

It would be nice to know the make just to have as reference; it was so badly neglected that I don't think we would be able to sell it at a good price, and I don't feel it is really special in any way, although I could take it to some gigs now and then... it looks so cool!

I would appreciate if someone could tell me about the 'microphonics' --I think that is the correct term-- of the pickups, why it is happening and how to solve it.

I would like to know where I can get the replacement tunning keys and ferrules; we might start replacing the missing ferrules and the broken key, and maybe later change the other ones, if it warrants it.

I'm attaching the pictures of the bass, the headstock, pickups, controls as well as the schematic diagram I drew so that you can have an idea of the bass and help me get on my way to bringing this baby back to life.

Any information will be greately appreciated.

Bass
    DSCN2913-800.

Headstock
    DSCN2914-800.
    DSCN2920-800.

Pickups
    DSCN2915-800.
    DSCN2916-800.

Tunning pegs DSCN2922-800.

Plate
    DSCN2923-1-800.

Caps