Help Identifying Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chiefazman, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Chiefazman

Chiefazman

Aug 12, 2019
    Greetings! About 26 years ago I purchased this neck. I was told it was a late 70's Fender Fretless that was left at the repair shop. Most markings were sanded off as the neck was being refinished. It matches up almost exactly to my 76 fretted Precision neck with 3 exceptions:
    1) The position of the string guide.
    2) an inlay on the back of the neck.
    3) a small piece at the base of the head stock that is a different color.

Any help Identifying if this is really a Fender neck would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 3518499 View attachment 3518506 20190824_101104.jpg

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The string tree retainers were installed by hand. So its random where they ended up from one bass to the next.

The walnut plug is for the truss rod anchor hole.
    1pc maple necks didnt have a removable board, so you'd have the walnut skunk strip on the back and the end plug for installing the truss rod.
    On the two pice necks (like the rosewood board necks made before 77ish) the truss channel was there before the board glued on.

It certainly looks like a Fender neck.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Chiefazman

Chiefazman

Aug 12, 2019
    Thank you so much for the great information!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It also has the early Fender tuners used from mid '68 thru 71(?) that don't have the circled R after the Fender stamp.

5. Chiefazman

Chiefazman

Aug 12, 2019
    Thank you so much for that information as well. The neck plays great. I wanted to try and match it to the correct body. I have a feeling trying to obtain a 68-71 body will be some big $$$!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021