Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Identifying Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H3rEye51nRoam, Sep 30, 2004.

1. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Hello all, I recently picked up an older bass that looks like one of the older Gibsons. I picked it up for $40 at a garage sale. It has no identification or any markings on it with the exception of a "6" on the headstock, body, etc... I would just like help in identifying it. If any of you can help me out, please let me know. I took the attached images immediately after bringing it home. As you can see, it does need lots of work. I plan to clean it up alot, refinish it, and replace the hardware depending on what's needed. Thank you very much everyone, I highly appreciate the help. Later. matix86af@hotmail.com or H3rEye51nRoam on AIM.

2. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
  3. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
  4. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    I just dissasembled the bridge and cleaned that out and checked out the wiring which, is messed up. The only thing that is wired up to the pickup is the input. I did try it through an amp and it played fine but the tone and volume controls did not work. I checked it out and the tone and volume pots have a lead soldered together for ground but no other lead soldered to it. There are 2 wires then that are capped and a wire running through the wood and to the bridge which looks like a ground wire, but that wire was cut and has nothing attached to it. I will definately be replacing that. Would I want to stick w/ the stock pickup? I would think so to preserve the sound. Well thanks for the help guys. If anyone can help me out now w/ wiring diagrams, I would appreciate it. Later.

5. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Anyone at all? I plan on looking into refininshing it real soon.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Looks like a Kay, 60's.

7. I have a made in Japan bass That has similar tuning machines. It is actually a cool soundind bass with two single coil pickup. I brouhgt it to a luthier he liked it and said it could have been made by Aria or Ibanez. It had a similar bdge cover as well as switches to turn the PUs on and off.
    Peace,
    Benton

8. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Thanks guys, I will look into this and try to figure it out. If anyolne else out there has any ideas, please lmk. Also, do you guys think it would be worth putting the effort forth to refinish and restore this? Thanks. Later.

9. H3rEye51nRoam, Why are you refinishing it? The finish looks ok to me, not perfect, but nice. Also, All I'd do is get it set up, and add a pickup just a bit below the original pickup, sort of in the middle. I dont know what kind of pickup, something vintage looking...Chrome.

IMHO

10. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Well there are big chips and gouges on the edges, especially at the top of the horns and that, but nothing too major besides that huge scratch on the front. There is some damage too around the bridge cover. I was thinking about just leaving it like that for now and waiting on that. My neighbor is very involved in wood working and very knowledgable so I was going to talk to him about helping me refinish it. I was just going to do that though next time I see him. I am thinking about replacing some of the parts first. I was thinking about polishing up the bridge cover, pickup casing, tuning keys, and all of that or like having them chromed so they look new. Or possibly even replacing them. I think my original idea was refinishing this and everything to get the like new look. Would that be the way to go? If I can find one, I plan on replacing the pickguard for sure since there is a large crack in it by the input. I also plan to replace the pots, wiring, knobs, and input since the wiring needs work and it's missing a knob. How would I go about wiring up another pickup? Would I want to even replace the one on it and just get 2 new ones that have the vintage look? Or would I want to leave it as it is with just the one pickup? If I did add a pickup, how would I hide the wiring on the lower one? The pickup on there is simply screwed on to the top, it's not recessed in there or anything. So will that create problems for installing new pickups? Where do you think I would be able to find some decent vintage looking pickups for it? Well thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. Later.

11. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Spent the past 2 hours disassembling it and cleaning and polishing it. It looks really good so far. I am still debating on leaving the finish as it is. I am planning on replacing the knobs and getting a vintage pbass wiring kit for sure to get the electronics good to go since the wiring in it now is junk. From there I am thinking about replacing the string ferrules since they are gouged a little, but not sure. I will also be getting a set of chrome pickguard screws for it since there are 2 missing screws. I then am thinking about tracing the pickguard and having a replacement made by the people at www.pickguards.com. I cleaned the pickup up and it looks really good. I am debating what to do w/ the bridge cover though since it is gouged around the bolt that holds it on. I am thinking about sanding that smooth or just buying a new bridge cover and a new bridge. If I did get a bridge cover, it'd have the wings on the side for where you screw it down. Again I'm not sure yet what I want to do with all of it. It'd be nice to refinish but who knows. I am unsure though what I am going to do with the pickups. I most likely will leave it just that one. Any opinions on that? I will probably replace and repair everything that I am looking to and then if I am satisfied, leave it as is, if not I will refinish it. Well thanks everyone for the help.

12. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
  13. H3rEye51nRoam

H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Hello all, I'd just like to post an update. I have cleaned and polished the bass extensively. I restrung it with some Ernie Balls and it came out really good so far. I replaced the wiring and knobs and repaired the pickguard. It was broken at the input jack but I super glued it back together and then sanded and polished it so it looks like new. I am looking at having it tuned up and having the truss rod set and whatnot. I would also like to clean up the fretboard. I am even considering defretting it and possibly refinishing it. I know lots of you may not like it, but maybe even refinish it in a bright color like a nice yellow/orange or pink. I have no idea. I am still working on identifying it as well. Well talk to you all later. Thanks.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My bet is a late 60's early 70's Greco bass, made in Japan. Very cheap at the time, in good condition they go for about $150 on the used market today.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    My bet is it's a Kay.

16. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Whatever kind of bass it is I wouldn't replace the pickup unless it sounds like utter crap. It's got a cool vintage look with the chrome. When you get that bass polished, wired and set up it could be really cool.

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Agreed..no sense polishing a turd.

18. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I agree, its a cool vintage bass, sounds like a lot of work that would go into a warmouth bass. I do agree though in your idea of cleaning it up, setting it up, rewiring, did you replace the pots, that might be a good idea with changing the knobs, the vintage finish is bitchin!

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ