Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Identifying Bass:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanitarium, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Hello:

I'm new to the forum, evidently..I purchased this bass from a Pawn Shop back in late June, and trying to find out what model it is has been killing me...I know that it's a Fender Jazz Bass, but honestly, nothing more. Can anyone help?I've enclosed some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    looks like a Fender Aerodyne bass

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It is. Says so on the headstock :)

4. Ship it to me, I'll check it out for ya... :smug:

5. Ah, ok, I just hadn't seen any with the pickguard and chromey bits, so I thought it might have been something more.

6. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    The pickguarded version isn't too common here in the States. Looks freakin' great!

7. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    That's the non-export version of the Aerodyne (AJB-58--the US market ones are the AJB-65). It lists on the Fender Japan site for 60,900 yen http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/e_guitar_bass/aerodyne_jazz_bass.htm , but they're readily available over here for around 400-500 bucks depending on the yen rate. I haven't seen a black one though, mostly the red and grey ones are what the stores carry.
    The difference between the 58 and 65 is the 58 has a pickguard, chrome hardware and a lighter bridge, while the 65's has no pickguard, heavier bridge and "black chrome" hardware.

Enjoy, it's a great bass!
    Scott