1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying cables from pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Holroyd, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Holroyd

Holroyd Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    NYC
    Hey all,

I recently got a Tune bass that I had left with a friend for 15 years! Anyway, it plays beautifully, but the internal preamp has some pops and cracks and I am thinking of replacing it with something like an Audere classic.

Opening the cavity, I see that each pickup has 5 wires. The braided one is obviously the shielding and the red an white ones are connected to the preamp.
    There are two other ones, a green and a black that are soldered together. Would any of you guys know what these are for?

Thanks for the help! 20181117_095125.

2. Those pickups are humbuckers & the green & black are the connection to make the two coils of the humbucker function in series:

color_codes-809x1024.

This^ is just an example & none of the brands in the diagram match up.

If you want to know which wires connect to the other sides of green & black, you'd need to disconnect green from black & then measure the resistance (Ohms Ω) between those leads & white & red.

Holroyd and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This ^

Having the 4 conductors (two for each of the two coils in each pickup) gives the option of running the coils series/parallel, or splitting the coils (isolating one) so the pickup is a single coil.

Holroyd and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Holroyd

Holroyd Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    NYC
    Thanks guys!

Reedt2000 and Killed_by_Death like this.