Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identifying my new friend

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kam, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm considering buying and old German bass, the one I mentioned in my wooden peg thread. The label reads:

The 78 on the 1678 is hand-written, though the shop it is from laughed at the idea that it was made in 1678, said it was more likely to be 1878. Does this label tell anyone anything?

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    it means: copy of a steiner bass from 1678
    made by glass

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    That label matches F.A. Glass (2).. (of 3).. Worked at Kilngenthal from 1830-1860. Having that label still doesn't confirm he made it. Just a Label at this time. maybe if you post some pics, I/we can do better for you. Steiner is very very rare as far as Basses go. So many fakes in the world and more so with the violins.

F.A. Glass is a pretty big name at that time in his area. That could be a real Gem or a real fake..

4. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Here's some pics. As you can probably tell, it was in an accident, the top had to be rebuilt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    From the pics I am guessing northern Germany c.1900-1920. I am sure Arnold and Jeff if not a few others will voice their opinion on your Bass as well in due time.

6. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks Ken! So with that dating, does that mean it is not an authentic Glass?

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
  8. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    So...I'm approaching the wire and think I'm going to buy this bass. The owner of the shop thinks it came from the Glass shop, but was not actually made by him. I'm a bit trepadacious about the repairs to the top, but it sounds good. The shop says I just really need to watch for cracks opening up so they can get glued right away, and in fact they're some of them right now. I like the sound, but I'm worried about a lemon. Does anyone have any experience with this type of damage? It is too much of a headache to deal with? Keep in mind I'm in MN so the weather is less than stable! :help:

9. Looks to be well set up- good overstand/ neck angle, tall bridge with adjusters, raised saddle, nice thick fingerboard. That's all stuff you won't have to spend money on. If the repairs were well done, and the shop should be able to tell you that, I'm guessing it would be ok if you keep it humidified and don't subject it to rapid temperature changes. There are lots of much older basses with many more repairs still in regular use.

I'd ignore the name on the label, unless it's driven the price up. What matters most is that it is sound and sounds good to you.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I can see from the pics that the Top is slightly sunken in by the Bass bar. I can't see all the damage or repairs from these pics but it all depends on the Price. A complete restoration may be more than the total value of the Bass if that's what it needs. If not, then it's just a price vs. condition and cost of repairs totalled. The total price plus repair estimate (by a different shop than the seller) should be lower than the Bass in tip top shape. Remember, you are the one taking the risk. If they fix everything and it passes 'muster' from other shops or luthiers looking at it, then it's ok.