1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help identifying mystery pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, May 3, 2018.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Hey all. So I've got this jazz bass and it came loaded with a non-stock pickup in the neck. Most of the logo has worn off but it looks like it starts with an "S" and ends with a "T". I've tried google but it's been difficult... I keep getting results for Seymour Duncan.

Do any of you know of a pickup company who's name starts with a "S" and ends with a "T?" Is it "Secret?" Cuz nothing comes up when I type that in either. I will upload a pic from my phone shortly, although it's already pretty difficult to decipher what's worn off when looking at it... I can't imagine the picture will be of much help.

2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    20180503_173738.

3. Select? Like the old EMG selects? Anything on the back of the pickup?

Slater and superheavyfunk like this.
  4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    GOT IT! Thanks. After you posted that, I went to search and found this pic on another thread: DSCF6059.

The placement looks about right... seems they were bottom of the line EMG pups from back in the day. It actually sounds pretty nice, if I'm being honest. I was gonna swap out the pups for Delanos or Model J's but I may sit with this mismatched set for a while and see how I feel.

Thanks for your help!! :bassist::D

5. That’s my usual advice, keep it for a bit before you change things “just because.” I have a couple of different selects that sound just fine in basses and (gasp!) guitars.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I know what I like/need out of a bass and if this was one of my main gigging instruments, I'd have already swapped the pups out because consistency in tone is more important to me than saving a few dollars.

It's nice to have one instrument that I can try different things out on though. This bass has the select in the neck and the original 80's stock bridge pup... the output between the two isn't perfectly matched but I gotta say, this Select pickup seems to sound a bit beefier to my ear than a standard jazz neck pup. Or, maybe the high end is a bit muted, making it seem like it's bassier? I'm not sure. It's not a huge difference, mind you - it's pretty subtle, but it's there.

7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    And how do you feel about the Selects now?

8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Neither here nor there, to be honest. Its a quality sounding pickup but I'm not going to sing praises about it. It does sound pretty good on its own... I'm sure I'll eventually replace both pickups but as I said before, since this bass isn't really in "rotation" for gigs, it's pretty good as it is for now.

Have you used these pickups before?

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    only for guitar, about 25 years ago. I was disappointed.
    I still have them in a box. what i didnt like about them in a guitar may not be so bad in a bass