1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Identifying Old Ampeg Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben Huested, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ben Huested

Ben Huested

Jul 7, 2020
    Hi everyone, first post. I found this old Ampeg cab at a charity shop the other day and picked it up. There's plenty of information available on these old amps and cabs but I can't seem to find this specific cab mentioned, with the little red logo next to the normal ampeg logo. I'm assuming it's a mid to late 60s B15nc cab from the markings (duh) and the fact that it has a speaker with a large square magnet, which apparently dates it from at least '65 (?), but the serial number doesn't make sense to me, as well as the little red logo. Sorry for the fuzzy photos but that's the best that I can do right now. 20200707_175254.jpg 20200707_175254.jpg 20200706_141644.jpg

Attached Files:

elberon likes this.
  2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, don't know about the cab model but that added red logo sure looks like a Mistubishi Motors logo to me

3. Ben Huested

Ben Huested

Jul 7, 2020
    Lol I knew it looked familiar! It's stuck on there just as good as the actual logo is too.

4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Looks to me like a late '64, early '65 B-15N double baffle cabinet. As previously mentioned, the Mitsubishi emblem doesn't belong.

Aqualung60, Ben Huested and JimmyM like this.
  5. How much did you pay?

6. Ben Huested

Ben Huested

Jul 7, 2020
    I'll be honest it was literally $10

7. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    You made out REALLY well. Congratulations on your find.

mindwell likes this.
  8. Ben Huested

Ben Huested

Jul 7, 2020
    Thank you! I'm going to call the store tomorrow and see if they happen to have the amplifier head, but I have a sick feeling that if they did it was already thrown in the dumpster like most of the old electronics they get donated, seeing as their policy is to trash anything they can't fully test.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Lol , mystery solved.

You really gotta love Mitsubishi to do such a Mod.
    I'm sure there is automotive fans out there that love the brand.
    But no thanks.
    Should be a beautiful cab after the removal

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Worth a shot, but it could have been orphaned, too. That's a really stupid policy, BTW. Then again, so is selling a cab like that for $10. Doesn't do the charity much good.

Ben Huested and Rabidhamster like this.
  11. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    10 bucks, wow!

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  12. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Someplace, someone reading this post wishes they were you.

Congrats!

1960jbass, Eric Huber and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  13. Well that someone is me :drool:

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  14. Yeah...... ME!
    Nothin but cracked coffee cups at my local Goodwill.....sheesh!

HG1180 likes this.
  15. Does the top panel that buckles on have any screw holes in it like something (like an amplifier section) used to be attached? I'd definitely go back to the Goodwill and ask around about it. You wouldn't believe the stuff that used to end up on the floor at Goodwill. Now that they have shop goodwill online the stuff usually ends up there instead of stores. Nice score!

16. cuth

cuth Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'll give you $20 for the cab and you can double your money. Haha.
    Great score.

northbynorth likes this.
  17. Ben Huested

Ben Huested

Jul 7, 2020
    Yes, it has the flip top part where the amp would've gone. But I bought it from a local "Love Inc" store, not a goodwill. I plan on visiting them again today before 4 oclock, fingers crossed.

Roxbororob and JimmyM like this.
  18. Ben Huested

Ben Huested

Jul 7, 2020
    I just looked but there was no amp in sight. They even let me into a back room to check, which is pretty cool and definitely something the bigger chain stores wouldn't allow. I'm still happy with the cab it's just that now I have to find something to use it with!

19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    tip them another $10., geez.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

The tube Ampeg 50W amp should pair nicely. Or it would look nice next to my B15N. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021