Help Identifying P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayringer, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rayringer

rayringer

Jan 22, 2015
    Hey Everyone,

I guess my main question is if anyone else has seen this thing out there? I've just never seen this bass with the finish and neck combo like mine anywhere else. It doesn't seem like this was a build that they mass produced. Custom?

I know It's an American Standard Fender Precision. Trans white blonde finish, maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. The pickguard is black and it doesn't appear to be stock since it doesn't have the hole for accessing the truss rod. The serial number is N9-406094, which from what I've read, means it's a 1999 or a 2000.

I've seen this 1999 p bass with the similar finish (I think this is trans blonde and mine is trans white blonde?), but with a maple fretboard.

Thanks in advance!

-Ray

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's an American Standard Precision Bass from 1999, or 2000 with a changed out pick guard. Everything about the body says "Fender" to me, and the serial number is on the neck, so it seems like it came that way from the factory (other than the pick guard).

rayringer likes this.
  3. Nice looking blonde! It's very possible that you don't see the trans white basses out there because there just aren't that many compared to 3ts, natural, black and all the other colors available in '99. You can pull the neck to see if the date on the body and neck are fairly close. One thing is bothering me...why do the pickup pole pieces appear to not be sticking through the covers?

EagleMoon, REMBO, FenderOli and 2 others like this.
  4. rayringer

rayringer

Jan 22, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I could've been more clear on what my main question is. I'm mainly seeing if anyone has seen this neck and body together out there.

Lownote38 likes this.
  5. rayringer

rayringer

Jan 22, 2015
    Haha I thought someone might mention that. The pole pieces have been like that since I've had it. It does bother me aesthetically. From what I understand, the closer the pole pieces are to the strings, the grittier and hotter the tone is. The further away, the tone is a bit weaker but more clear. My tone sounds fine, but I'd like to adjust them.

Warhawk likes this.
  6. rayringer

rayringer

Jan 22, 2015
  7. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    How many Purple Metallic MIA P basses do you see? Most of the colors besides 3TSB, black, and white were probably pretty rare.

I have a P from around the same time. Lots of dates stamped on the neck and body but the last one was Jan 19 2000. Sunburst/Maple.

rayringer likes this.
  8. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    Also to add, it came with a white pickguard, and if I remember right that might have been all that was offered. But don't quote me on it. I wish I still had the Musicians Friend catalog that I ordered it out of...

Warhawk and rayringer like this.
  9. The electronics are all attached to the pickguard. So just take the strings off, take out the pickguard screws and pickup adjustment screws (with the proper phillips driver, should be a #1) and carefully lift the loaded pickguard off the bass.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    rayringer likes this.
  10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Pickups aren't attached to the pickguard, and don't have springs under them either. ;-)

jamro217 and Warhawk like this.
  11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Really? You have a P with a split-coil pickup mounted to the pickguard? Beyond unusual.

goldenglory18 likes this.
  12. Sorry, I made a big mistake here. The pickups are mounted to the body but if you take the adjustment screws out they will come out with the pickguard.

13. I had exactly an white blonde like in your pictures, also N9 serial, ash body with rosewood fretboard. Was medium weight. White pickguard.
    No Custom - a bit higher price for ash. (There was no "trans blonde" or "trans white blonde" - they call it: white blonde 801).

Warhawk likes this.
  14. I have an old Japanese bass that does just that. Can't believe I combined them in my mind like that. It's likely the foam under the pickups has failed in the OP's bass.

jamro217 likes this.
  15. rayringer

rayringer

Jan 22, 2015
    Cool! Thank you!

16. Lovely bass there.

P. Aaron likes this.
  17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
  18. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    Fine looking bass! I think you should Tort it! (I have a 93 Stingray in Transwhite and I Torted it and never looked back)

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Congrats.