Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Identifying Some Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Touch, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Hi,

I need some help identifiying some strings. I believe that I have two sets of Obligatos: one a solo set and the other orchestra tuning. I tried the Quinn applet but it said that they were Corellis.

Both sets are red/black spiral on the ball end. Set #1 is blue, yellow, green, gray (low - high). Set #2 is green, blue, red, purple or maybe brown (low - high).

I got some bridge and fingerboard work done on the old '42 Kay and strung it up with set #2...

Are these orchestra tuning?

Touch

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Definitely sounds like solo Obligatos.
    The A should be black if it was an orchestra Obligato.
    The G should be brown.
    These are Pirastro standard color codes.

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks guys. They don't seem terribly different in diameter, but I haven't got a micrometer handy...

I guess I'll have to take a look at the wrap color in daylight. Perhaps a color blindness test would also be in order!

Really liking these Obligatos right now on the old Kay. I tried them some time ago on my carved top (which I use mostly for arco, but some jazz) but I didn't really care for them. I've got Corelli's on this bass and I really like the arco tone in the upper registers. Moderately good sustain as well... but not close to the Spirocores. Next string experiment on the carved bass will be the superflexibles

I had my fingerboard resurfaced and had the action lowered on the Kay. With the orch oblis I'm getting a real nice "tick" on the fingerboard when I dig in. Nice increase in volume too.

I use this bass mostly for bluegrass and acoustic. I've got a bar gig this weekend (really loud with amps) as well as a wedding (without any sound equipment). Should be interesting.

Touch