Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help identifying stock strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by groundzero, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I like the sound and feel of the strings on my recently purchased American Fender Jazz but I don't know what kind they are. They're a bright silver color so I'm guessing nickel (my Schecter is strung with Rotosound steel strings which are dark grey) and they have grey silk at the ends as you can see from the photo.

[​IMG]

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender uses their own nickel strings on their basses.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    According to the infinate wisdom on Fender.com:

Super Bass 8250M NPS, p/n 073-8250-006,
    Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E)

4. SinisterMental

SinisterMental

Oct 14, 2005
    NJ
    I too just got my hands on a Fender American Jazz. However, I'm going to switch to flatwounds. The strings that came with the bass are too bright for my taste.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

May i suggest trying the 7150 Nickel strings from Fender? They're not very bright, but do have a nice thump-especially after breaking in a bit. Plus, they do still maintain some roundwound characteristics aka they cut thru nicely in a live situation. And if you ever slap at all(I rarely ever do) they have that roundwound bite to them.

Hey, you may end up liking flats better anyway. I just wanted to suggest what I believe IMHO to be a possible alternative :hyper:

Hope that was helpful :bassist:

6. SinisterMental

SinisterMental

Oct 14, 2005
    NJ
    Thanks for the suggestion. What do you think about D'Addario Chromes?