1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying these Hipshot tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Andyman001, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    WP_20160810_001. WP_20160810_003. WP_20160810_004. WP_20160810_005. WP_20160810_006.

Pretty sure the first one is an HB1, but not sure. I need a treble side tuner to match the ones in the last 2 pics with the straight shaft, but Best Bass Gear site and Hipshot site only have pics from the back

Thanks, Andy

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You can get HB1's with either taper or straight posts. Give the folks st Hipshot a call and they will look after you.

Lownote38 likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would second hitting up Hipshot. Their customer service is among the best in the industry.

bholder likes this.
  4. Andyman001

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Thanks guys.

5. Doesn't show that on the Hipshot site. Why the secrecy?

6. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I don't know if it's a secret. I ordered a set of tuners and they came with tapered posts. The ones I got previously had straight posts. I sent Hipshot a note saying that I rather preferred the straight posts, and wondered if they had made the change because of customer preference. Two days later I got a package in the mail - straight posts, no charge.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If that's a MusicMan, they're HB1's

8. Andyman001

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    contacted Hipshot. Tuner is on order.

9. Bought a set of HB-6 tuners, USA Hipshots not the licensed ones. Came with straight shafts. Saw no other option on the site.

They didn't work very well on my bass because the straight shaft won't let the string go down far enough to get a good angle at the nut on the E and A strings. The stock tuners were hourglass shape and made a nice string angle.

However I didn't buy mine from Hipshot. I bought them off a music store E-bay seller.

Might try strings with more wrap allowance on them to get them down further.

IMG_0276.JPG

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. ^^^

Zen,

If you hold the strings down while winding them up to tension do they slide up the shaft?

I need to look at the set I just put on my Mendel and see what style the shaft is, weird problem.

You should contact Hipshot and let them know about this problem. They are an awesome outfit, no telling what they might do about it.

11. "Tapered posts"......hmmm...so those would not be "hourglass" shape" but "tapered". Which way are they tapered?

12. Kind of hard to get them to stay down at the bottom...and I figure they will slide up anyway with constant tuning/tweaking over time.

I tried strings with lots of extra wrap. Didn't make much if any difference.

I took them off and put the stock ones back on for now because I like the stock hourglass configuration.

The Hipshots changed the tone on certain strings and I didn't like that.

They also didn't seem to make much difference in lightening the neck. I didn't have hardly any neck dive with the stock tuners, but I figured the Hipshots would jack it up a bit more.
    Didn't seem to.

I am, to say the least, quite disappointed in them after reading the mountains of hype over time.

Was thinking of trying Gotoh's......but on their site all the shafts are exactly the same as Hipshot..

13. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Skinnier at the deck, fatter at the top. The idea is that as you wind the string on the tension pulls the string to the bottom of the post. You want the last wrap to be as close to the headstock as possible, and this is supposed to help. However, I dislike them because I find I have to fight the post a bit to let the lower last windings on - the previous winding (even if its the first) is sitting in the way. I also dislike the hourglass posts because they force the windings into the centre of the post and you have to fight them as well to get the last wind at the bottom - it wants to squeeze its way to the centre. So give me a straight post every time. I can push the windings to the bottom of the post where they belong without the hassle.

Lownote38, 96tbird and ZenG like this.
  14. So weird, I just don't understand what the difference is between yours and mine?

Mine are 1/2", straight post, the string slots have the tapered edges.

I didn't have any issues stringing it up, pretty normal deal.

Your posts almost look taller. I wonder if the headstock on your bass is actually set farther back, kinda looks like it.

tuners.JPG

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

More wraps solves the height issue. 4 or 5 I trim my stings twice as long as most people recommend, but the strings are in the deck amd no other issues.

16. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No big whoopie to deal with if one chooses to play a straight headed instrument. Many make much ado about such a small thing. Mountains outta molehills.

17. Yet in every other thread about string wraps, more than 3 wraps is not recommended.

I already tried the extra wraps on mine and I wasn't impressed.

As per Turnaround's post I'll see if I can swap them for the tapered posts.

Anyway, as I already mentioned, there was a tonal change when installed. Strings sounded different and not to my liking.

Many will be and are happy with them no doubt, but I was completely underwhelmed.