Help identifying this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim.Davenport, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Jim.Davenport

Aug 30, 2005
    Edit: I bought this in the Toronto area, if that's any help. Also, there appears to be no serial on the instrument.

I got this bass a few years ago at a flea market for $20 (Canadian dollars, no less). The main reason I got it was the bridge. It's a Badass (sweet) which retails for about $60USD, it's got a through-body neck (also sweet!), and it's fretless (though it's got the fret markings -- perhaps the previous owner ripped 'em out).

There are a couple of problems, though. The pick-ups sound like garbage and the volume knob had broken off at maximum; furthermore, there's no back plate to cover the electronics. So I haven't played it very much, other than to hear how it sounds. I'm going get a new pick-up and of course, fix the knob, as well as (somehow) make a plate for the back.

What I am wondering, though, is just what the heck kind of bass is it? I've never seen the "AA" logo on the head, and I'm hoping one of you can fill me in.

They're large-ish images -- 800x600 -- so the upload manager isn't accepting them, so here are direct links to the pictures:

Headstock & logo close-up
    Body close-up
    Full image
    Back of body close-up

Below is a low-quality image of the headstock. Take alook at the pics above for more detail

Attached Files:

2. I'm not sure. Do you have a serial number for it?
  3. Jim.Davenport

Aug 30, 2005
    Nope. There doesn't seem to be a serial number anywhere. =(
  4. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    It's a Canadian bass, made by a guy called Attila Balogh - sadly, he died a few years back. I think the model name was "Odyssey". Quite good quality - I can't believe you paid $20 for it!! It's worth a lot more, although I couldn't give you a definite price.
  5. Jim.Davenport

Aug 30, 2005
    Wow! That was fast! Thank you so much! I've been curious about this for years!

As an aside, it's missing the back plate that covers the electronics. Where might I find the materials and/or someone to cut it for me? I'm in the Toronto area.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Take it to The Twelfth Fret on the Danforth at Main, and have them make a cover for you.

7. sweet bass for $20! though from the attached photo the badass doesnt seem to have been aligned properly? have you tried stringing it?
  8. Jim.Davenport

Aug 30, 2005
    Great! Thanks for the tip!
  9. Jim.Davenport

Aug 30, 2005
    Fortunately, that's just the picture. It's prefectly straight in real life. ;) I've tried stringing it, and while I never played it amplified, the sustain on it just superb!