1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying this bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sirtimtim, Sep 23, 2010.

1. sirtimtim

sirtimtim

Sep 23, 2010
    New here!

found this bass at a garage sale, couldnt pass up a cheap instrument...Its old and beat up, pretty cool if you ask me :)

It has no logos or names on it at all, only lettering on it is the word Japan on the neck plate. I took the whole bass apart and no markings identifying the brand.

maybe someone on here can help me out! thanks!

-Tim

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

2. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Besides the massive strat-looking headstock that thing looks rad!

3. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Looks like a Tesco, Silverton or something similar. It's a cheap Japanese Jazz ripoff from the 60s.

4. You get basses like this turning up in the UK with the 'Antoria' logo. Japanese, 60's, usually from Fiji Gen (but not always), later 'Antorias' came off the same production lines as Ibanez, but don't know about this one.

Physically, build-wise, they are usually pretty servicable, but electrics are a bit 'iffy'.

5. Hi i joined just to let you know that your guitar without doubt is a antoria mid to late sixties i know this because I'm a guitar luthier and restorer and i am currently restoring your exact model .The pickups are ibaniz /antoria they were made in mid to late sixties they were of cause copies of the hofner staple pickup.the neck inlays are the exact dimensions of antoria the tooling on the body is the same which means the same tools were used i can also supply photo evidence if you wish .now the big difference the way I see it is ibaniz used its sister company to launch new models some with labels some without.may be to avoid lawsuits? But what i can tell you is antoria /ibaniz of the 60s and early 70s were fantastic build quality in most cases better than the original companys they were copying of . hope this helps .Chris

6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I would agree 100% with you there Chris. I had an Antoria Precision copy in about 1968 and it was a really nicely made instrument. Pity I snapped the truss rod when the adjuster seized.

7. they really were amazing instruments very understated.The Japanese had a knack copying with improvements with all things take British motorcycles they visited the factory's in England with soft compound shoes so the metal shavings could stick in them so they could anylize them in there lab and improve upon there alloys.sorry waffling on lol. chris

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021