1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying this Carvin.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nanners987, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nanners987

nanners987

Oct 3, 2017
    Hey All,

Long time lurker, just made an account. I'm looking to purchase this used Carvin from a local guy but I've been having a hard time trying to identify which specific model it is.

Looks like an LB70 but with dual MM-Style pickups but I've never seen that headstock. Any info and/or price range would be helpful..thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ

Looks to me that your bass had the "Icon" headstock as an option when originally built. Carvin should have the total rundown of that bass' origins (year, options). I tried looking up on carvinmuseum.com, but all the LB70s depicted had 3 band eq, i.e. 5 knobs, as opposed to 4 and a switch.

3. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    The switch is a coil splitter switch. My Lb70 has the MM pickup and a J pickup, and the switch splits the coil on the MM.

4. nanners987

nanners987

Oct 3, 2017
    Thanks again, I appreciate the info. I'm guessing that it was probably a custom order.

5. nanners987

nanners987

Oct 3, 2017
    How do you like your LB70? I've never owned a neck-thru so I'm a little skeptical about buying.

6. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    like it a lot. Great build quality, lots of different usable tones. Mine's all walnut w tung oil finish - very niece :)

7. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    That is a LB70 with dual MMs. The headstock was called the carved top headstock, IIRC. Looks amazing!

8. nanners987

nanners987

Oct 3, 2017
    I haven't gone down to play it yet, but he only wants 450$ with the case.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Call Carvin with the serial number.