Help Identifying This Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gravyguzzler, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Gravyguzzler

Gravyguzzler

Dec 29, 2019
    Just picked this up for a couple hundred bucks and I'm having a difficult time placing a year or type of jazz bass this thing is. I did some research on the headstock logo but I'm getting mixed inputs. Could anyone help me figure out what exactly I have here? Surely the custom shop pickups are aftermarket, and same goes for the tuners.

Here's a link to the photo album with a bunch of detailed pictures:
    Fender Jazz Bass

All help is appreciated. I'm a guitar player, and this is my first bass. It sounds really killer so I'm hoping to learn more about it.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Decal's a fake, probably some sort of parts bass, but more than likely worth a couple hundy.

3. Gravyguzzler

Gravyguzzler

Dec 29, 2019
    Damn, it did look kinda of off though, honestly. What do you think about the body?

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Body looks like a legit Fender... How does it play? That's the test... People re-decal necks all the time, but it's often not necessarily nefarious. Some folks just want the name on the headstock regardless. There are many fine parts basses out there. I'd have no problem playing this one if it felt right...

-robert

JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Can't tell much about the body from those pics, but it does look like a legit Fender from what I'm seeing and not some plywood cheapo. At any rate, I still think you did good.

6. The body has the MIM router guide hole. So, the body's Fender. Neck is likely a rebadged Squier, the custom shop sticker peeking out on the bridge pickup is likely fake. It's a parts bass, but for a couple of hundred you did alright.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021