1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying this rare Ibanez SR1000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C5DEMON, Jun 11, 2011.

1. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    I purchased this bass a couple of months ago and i cannot find any information on it. Help please! I've done my research and the best that i can come up with is that it's a '92 SR1000 with a (suprisingly) basswood, not maple, core with mahogany or browned bubinga top and back. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. There is a 5-string model of this too, if anyone wants to sell theirs I would love to have one. Thanks

Ross

KMS_9911.
    KMS_9918.
    KMS_9917.
    KMS_9912.
    KMS_9915.

2. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Wow, never seen that one before...interesting.
    Have you looked in the heel cup to see the model and finish details yet?
    The hardware looks to be older than 92...the control knobs are styled similar to the Sure Grip ones on the older Musicians except for the larger rubber rings, and the exposed pole pieces/ thumbrest are of similar era as well.

I've sent a link to a mate who's been with Ibanez way, way longer than i have to see if he recognises it.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Those control knobs are unoriginal. In fact, they are from a Marshall amp. The pickup selector switch is unoriginal and was added. The thumbrest and pickups are unoriginal. The bass appears to have been stripped and refinished with clear coat. It looks like mahogany veneers over a basswood body, which is consistent with an 800 series Soundgear, which is far from rare. If the gold hardware is original, then maybe it's a refinished SR890, but with so much else changed out, I'm doubting anything is original on that bass. SR1000's were ash, and had an angled route in the front of the body for the input jack. An SR1000 had an ebony fretboard, too. This is not an SR1000. I hope you didn't pay more than $100 for that bass, because an all-original SR800 from that era isn't worth much more than $200.

4. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Sweet bass! Like you, I can't seem to find anything on my '89 SR2000. Don't think I've seen one like yours before and I definitely have never seen one like mine before or since I got it. Mine is neck thru, 18v EMG's, Kubicki-esque bridge....and no one, other than the guy I got it from, can tell me anything about it.
    Maybe we should start a "Rare Ibanez Club" :D

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Fine looking bass! How's the neck feel/play? How manageable is the tone-is it stuck on trebly? Looks hot and fast! I want it. Can you send it to me for free?

6. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    This is not the only one i've seen in this body wood configuration, they made a 5 string version also that i've seen. It has not been stripped down, I know that for a fact. I'm quite knowledgeable in ibanez SR basses, this one is just a rarity.

7. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    Here are some pics of the 5-string version. I WANT ONE!!!!

lf.
    2-1.

8. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    I don't like playing 4 strings and this thing MAKES me want to play it. The action is the lowest i've ever had on any bass and has no buzz. It is very light weight, the neck is very fast and the tone has a great vintage P bass tone. The basslines p pickup overwhelms the j, so i'll probably get a basslines j to match. This is a great player.

9. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    $100 HA HA!! I think you're a little off on your estimates mate. I agree with the SR800 being 200, but because of the rarity alone i would value this at about 400ish I think that is a fair price, but I'm not selling HA HA

10. @C5DEMON - I got your private message. Sorry I'm late replying here. This is a weblink to a copy of the Ibanez catalogue from 1992. I own an SR885, which is the 5-string version of your bass.

Ibanez Rules 1992 US Ibanez Catalog

I bought mine brand new. At that time my local store didn't stock Ibanez, so I asked them to specifically order this one. The nice thing about that... I was able to choose all my options when I ordered it. To pass the time, the store gave me an Ibanez catalogue to take home so I could look at the pictures until it arrived in the store. I've owned my SR885 for 19 years & it still sounds great.

11. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    So you ordered it like that? hmmm well... back then they did take custom orders... Man, I can't wait to break a string so i can check that neck pocket to be sure. I need to play more :bassist: Thanks for your information I'll pass it on to the ibanez forum community as well. I've had them stumped ha ha!

12. Broom

Broom

Nov 19, 2013
    Hello. I know 'cuz I bought one in 1992, haven't changed a thing on it since.

The photos here don't show the original pickups (a J-active and two P-active pickups), the knobs were changed, a switch was added, and a thumb rest was bolted on.

Here's some pics of my own SR-890, so you can tell what it should look like in it's original state.

It's got some wear, it's been around.

[​IMG] http://imgur.com/fKeFGoh

[​IMG] http://imgur.com/crZD2bB

[​IMG] http://imgur.com/wya37qA

[​IMG] http://imgur.com/RB3kPpW

hope this helps.

13. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    danomite64 and Broom are both correct, this is an 800 series soundgear with modifications not a SR1000. not really rare, just not a usa finish option prob worth $350 tops (if your looking for $ a value) maybe less due to the mods. just enjoy it and play the hell outta it!

14. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That's a sweet Ibby!