Help Identifying This Strange Fender(?) Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Namssorg, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Namssorg

Namssorg

Aug 6, 2013
    I listed an old guiltar/amp on Craigslist yesterday, and got a message back from someone else selling this bass wondering if I'd be interested in a trade.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3948311675.html

[​IMG]

I'm actually looking for a bass, but I have a feeling this is not actually a Bullet Bass. The pick guard and profile of the body don't quite look like any Fender to me, but maybe I'm mistaken. It just looks way too pointy. Maybe a previous owner replaced some parts, and added the metal knobs.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Possibly someone took a Bullet Bass fretboard and stuck it on something else?

I'm interested in trading with this guy, I just have no idea what this bass actually is!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sanded off the Squier it looks like.

3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Definitely, and that's no Bullet Bass. Looks almost like a JP-90 body with a Bullet neck. But that doesn't look right either.

4. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Frankenstein parts bass. $150 tops. Including case and a 6 of decent beer.

5. Namssorg

Namssorg

Aug 6, 2013
    Yeah it does look like they sanded off the Squier. That's what got me thinking.

To be fair, I was going to be trading this Yamaha Pacifica 512 and a Peavey Express 112. http://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_hCLaPloS7L2_600x450.jpg
    [​IMG]

Which so far have had almost no hits :) I was going to donate them to a Music nonprofit at the end of the week if I can't sell/trade them. Wonder if it's worth trading for this weirdo bass.

6. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Nice Case... Peavey?

7. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    P.S...

The body looks like a modded Aria Pro II (not sure the exact model) with a modded Squire Bullet Bass neck...

8. Namssorg

Namssorg

Aug 6, 2013
  9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Could be the neck broke or got warped and it was replaced with a Squier neck, much easier to find one of those I'd bet.

10. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Is he trying to pass it off as a genuine Fender Bullet bass or does he know nothing about it other than a sticker on the headstock says Fender?

Is the guy willing to let you come play it before commiting? If so, go for it. It might just be a nice player, so what if it isn't all original, as long as everything fits like it should and it isn't held together with duct tape and glue.

Inspect the neck pocket from every angle to ensure a good tight fit. Bring a tuner and check the intonation. Make sure the neck doesn't have too much or not enough relief and the strings ring true without fretting out. Be sure to plug it into something, even if its just your little guitar amp your trading to make sure the electronics work, best to plug it into the rig you're gonna play it through to see if you like the tone.

Just be aware that a mutt isn't going to really have any kind of resale, so if you end up not liking it, you may just end up donating it or parting it out to help others create their own franken-bass.

11. Trus3683

Trus3683

Feb 14, 2013
    California, USA
    That's most definitely an Aria II body. The pickups have been swapped out; potentially upgraded and the electronics have been changed. A pickguard has been added to cover up the now useless truss rod access hole, as the Squier neck has one up top.

Be sure to play it before you buy it. I suspect intonation to be way off if it really was initially an Aria, as those basses have 22 frets. This Squier neck has 20. Who knows though. It could be a one of a kind beauty!

If you're able to get a chance, taking the neck off may yield some answers as some manufacturers may brand the neck pocket on the body.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021