Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help ID'ing a string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Pacman, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey guys, I was playing a beautiful old French bass today (only $45,000 too - what a bargain!), and came across a string that sounded really good. I couldn't find it on Quinn's ID thing, so I thought I'd ask for the collective wisdom of the group.

They were black (or VERY dark blue) on the ball end, with a red ring at the end of the silk. On the pegbox end they were the same black with a different color ring to (I'd guess) identify the string.

Anyone have any idea what they were?

Your help is much appreciated.

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Corelli's are like that....at least the 370tx on my bass. Don't know if they use the same colors for their other flavors. I can see the G and D colors (the A and E are hidden) and they are yellow and purple, respectively.
    I wonder why this won't show on the ID site, Corelli is a common string.

3. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The 370s that I put on my bass were bright blue on the ball end. Are the TXs different?

4. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Must be.
    I've had 2 sets of 370tx, and they are exactly as you describe.
    Which 370's do you have?

5. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    If I remember I can check a set at work, I know the corellis have the ring but I don't know what color on the bottom.

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks, Jon. I had the mediums. The TX is the heaviest gage, right? (Interestingly enough, I'm looking for a heavier gage than my weichs, too)

7. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Well....
    Actually, Francois did some research on these and found that the Fortes are the heaviest. The TX's are somewhere between the Fortes and Mediums, with a different formula to give them a distinctive sound. If you try them, please let us know how they compare with the Spiros.

8. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    This is the quote from the Francois thread. It kind of stands to reason since you'd need more tension with the lower mass of the 370F, but I don't know why this wouldn't apply to the thinnest gauge.

Thread Link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99580