Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help IDing an EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DanGouge, Jun 2, 2002.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was perusing a guitar show today for anything bass-related that was in the show. Aside from the usual Fenders and the like, I came upon a bona fide EUB. It was a dark cherry colour and something of a peculiar shape. It had a typical upright scale-length (40"?). The fingerboard radius was a bit flatter than is typical for uprights. The guy selling it said that it was made in 1968 by some company whose name I didn't quite catch. The name began with G and ended with "tone". Does this sound familiar to anyone? I checked Bob G.'s site and I didn't see anything that looked like name of the co. in question. I'm interested because I've always played bass guitar but I've had a growing interest in EUBs. They all seem to be rather expensive investments though and this thing is selling for $1599 CAN which is roughly $1050 US (includes gig bag and custom flight case). Correct me if I'm wrong but that would represent a good deal as far as EUBs go, provided it's a good instrument. Does anyone know what this thing is? Is it a good investment to go for? Or should I save my pennies for something else?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think it's the Guyatone made by Sekova (Japan) in the 60's.
    Anyway I suggest you contact Mikael Jansson about this.
    He's the most knowledgeable person I know about EUBs.

HTH!

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's the one I think! I *thought* that the guy said Guyatone but I associate that name with effects pedals so I wasn't sure that I was hearing it right. Thanks for the information!