1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help IDing an EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DanGouge, Jun 2, 2002.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was perusing a guitar show today for anything bass-related that was in the show. Aside from the usual Fenders and the like, I came upon a bona fide EUB. It was a dark cherry colour and something of a peculiar shape. It had a typical upright scale-length (40"?). The fingerboard radius was a bit flatter than is typical for uprights. The guy selling it said that it was made in 1968 by some company whose name I didn't quite catch. The name began with G and ended with "tone". Does this sound familiar to anyone? I checked Bob G.'s site and I didn't see anything that looked like name of the co. in question. I'm interested because I've always played bass guitar but I've had a growing interest in EUBs. They all seem to be rather expensive investments though and this thing is selling for $1599 CAN which is roughly $1050 US (includes gig bag and custom flight case). Correct me if I'm wrong but that would represent a good deal as far as EUBs go, provided it's a good instrument. Does anyone know what this thing is? Is it a good investment to go for? Or should I save my pennies for something else?

2. I think it's the Guyatone made by Sekova (Japan) in the 60's.
    Anyway I suggest you contact Mikael Jansson about this.
    He's the most knowledgeable person I know about EUBs.

HTH!

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's the one I think! I *thought* that the guy said Guyatone but I associate that name with effects pedals so I wasn't sure that I was hearing it right. Thanks for the information!