1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP IDing MIJ Fender P (P/J?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jdblaiz, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jdblaiz

jdblaiz

Jun 26, 2009
    scituate, ma
    okay - I just flipped page by page (all 29 of them!) through the TB MIJ/CIJ Fender club and . . . . NO LUCK finding this bass in there. Before asking me questions about the bass that are not apparent by the pictures, this is a bass that I have the opportunity to buy - the ONLY thing I have to look at are the pictures attached. I checked w/ the Fender website and this is a "E" ('84-'87) serial number bass. Again - I know nothing about the bass' history - what has me a bit miffed is there are two control knobs and a P and J pickup??? (two volume knobs, no tone knob?) seems a little odd to me, but I'm not a Fender expert by any stretch. Do you think the jazz pickup was added? Third knob covered by the pickguard?? Call this the Wednesday afternoon mystery. I continue to search the web to ID this - if I do, I'll repost here.

Attached Files:

2. Punk Jazz

Punk Jazz

Sep 17, 2009
    Dover, NH
    I'd be interested in seeing some pics of this, maybe that will help.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    They had the jazz bass special 3 kobs 1 toggle, P and jazz pick up no pick guard.

They also had a no pickguard P abss with just a P pick up and 2 knobs, maybe a jazz pick up was added to that?

Maybe the body is not fender.

4. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    Those links are to pictures in Google Mail.

You'll have to upload them to an image hosting service like Flickr, or download to your computer and add them as attachments here.

5. jdblaiz

jdblaiz

Jun 26, 2009
    scituate, ma
    SORRY!! my bad! - I was referencing pics that were never there! Pics SHOULD be on post now. Thanks!!

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    That body was not routed form fender stock for a Jazz pick up it is to far from the bridge, that was done AFTER it left the fender factory, it is just way to far from the bridge

The headstock looks like its a regular MIJ p bass , i think some one routed for the J pick up and then added a volume for it instead of tone for the P pick up, that is not a stock bass though so finding another MIJ like it is probably not going to happen.

7. Punk Jazz

Punk Jazz

Sep 17, 2009
    Dover, NH
    As far as the knobs are concerned, I would assume that whomever had the J pup installed had it wired in parallel with the P pup. That is the only way it would make sense that it would work unless the tone was removed to make way for a J pup volume pot. So I guess you either have no tone control or no ability to blend the pickups.