1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help ID'ing Russian Circle's Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PWV, Jan 3, 2012.

1. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    ....I think this is Brian Cook, and he's used the Verellen Meatsmoke quite a bit. But in this live shot here, all I can make out is the Ampeg fridge. Think those might be Sunn's in the upper left?

To the right, you can see a couple more cabs - Fenders? Anyway - impressive wall of bass tone he's got going here...

Can anybody name some of these pieces? (edited to add: he kneels down about the 4:30 mark to fiddle with pedals and you can get a clearer shot of the rig on the left).

Russian Circles - geneva@live Dour 2011 - YouTube

EDITED TO ADD THE ANSWER - Brian posted this on Verellan Amp's Facebook page:

Thanks Brian - and yay internet highway!

2. I'm sure i remember seeing a lot of Russian Circles pictures and info thrown around the EMPEROR Cabs thread, so that might be a place to start.

Liam

3. PWV

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    Thanks - yes, those cabs on the left could be - or they look like they could be Verellan or Monolith cabs too.. :confused: And those might be 2 Meatsmokes stacked on top.

I think this was the band that got in a van accident, most of their road gear was destroyed but the Meatsmoke came out of it unscathed. If they crossed the pond to Dour, Belgium in this footage, maybe the whole thing is rented? The guitarist has enough Orange gear on his side to double as a booth at NAMM when they're not playing!

4. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Looks like a couple Sunn heads, a couple Emperor cabs and a SVT-2 Pro and 8x10 fridge.

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I think the Sunn heads might be a part of the guitarist's rig. I know he runs a stereo setup with his looper, which he uses extensively.

6. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The amps on top of the cabs in question are Sunn Model Ts, no mistaking them. The cabs themselves are definitely Emperor. Russian Circles have been listed on the Emperor Artists page for years now. I believe the rig is part of the guitar players (see below clip), but Emperor does make awesome bass cabs.

You can see the Sunns better in this clip, and though I can't tell the guitarists cabs (looks maybe like Mesa?), the bassist can be seen with some Sunn Concert or Coliseum Heads into Emperor cabs.
    Russian Circles "Harper Lewis" LIVE at Wicker Park Fest 07 - YouTube

7. PWV

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    Hey thanks D.M.N. - greetings from Tacoma my Evergreen State brother. Maybe I'll see you at a Russian Circles Show when they come through town again. :D

8. PWV

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    Bumpin for Brian's answer:

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Been researching Brian's stuff. A bit off topic but Brian uses an svt3 non pro not a svt3 pro, correct?