1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help ID'ing this potential Musicman Stingray Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliade677, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Hey all, new to the site. There is a listing on my local craigslist for a musicman stingray bass. However, there have been quite a few alterations to the guitar. Tuners were changed, there was a 5-string conversion, the bridge was changed to an ESP, pickup was changed to a Bartolini, and the preamp was changed to Marcus Miller electronics. There is no serial number (I know...), and supposedly the headstock was covered with a thin veneer (I know!), but there are aspects of the guitar that appear legit. Does any part of this appear legit? I will post pics as soon as I'm allowed. I can PM if someone is interested enough.

The neck itself is dated "SEP 19 1980" with a 2 surrounded by a circle stamp, similar to a Fender. There is also a description of "NARROW BASS." The neck pocket in the body is dated "1-13-83" with no additional markings. The current owner was told that NOS fretless bass necks were matched up with newer bodies. He thinks it might be BS. I think so as well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Sorry, forgot to post info on the neck pocket!

3. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Whatever it is now, other than "probably stolen" and "franken-garbage", it's not a Stingray (anymore).

Maybe it plays and sounds like magic. If so (and after inquiring with Police re: stolen Stingrays), at best I'd be offering no-name amateur home build money not Stingray money.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    If I am not mistaken, the serial numbers were on the bridge. I had a '93 Stingray 5 that had it there anyway. It sounds like it has been modded beyond recognition.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its a ray. i worked on a fretless stingray that was dated 1980 and had narrow bass stamped on it. 1.5 nut width

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    for that money, if it wouldnt have had the 5 string conversion, id be buying that right now!

7. Bingo! This is exactly what I was hoping for. So are you suggesting that the 5 string conversion wrecks the bass? What do you think is a good price for the bass as-is?

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    as a player and a curiosity, its worth what theyre asking imo. even with the 5 string conversion. if i didnt have so many projects going right now id probably pick it up. its not that its wrecked, just priced fairly for whats been done. if it was still a 4 string, a pre eb, narrow neck factory fretless with changed parts would be a steal at that price.

9. I really appreciate the input narud. I walked away from it yesterday because I was uncertain exactly what I was buying. Could it be converted back to a 4 string or is that not worth the hassle?

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you dont mind an extra headstock hole and changing the nut and bridge then sure. i had a badass bridge on a 79 ray that was missing its original bridge for a while and that worked well.

11. Good lord!!!!!

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Missing the original bridge, pickup, preamp, and tuners? Then converted to a 5er as well?

That stuff is going to be extremely difficult to replace with genuine parts. I'd pass

13. I ended up grabbing it for $300. I can't help myself. I'll post better pics once I'm able to.

14. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    For 300$ that's not half bad, I would just change the nut and make it a 4 again and call it a bass.