1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help IDing vintage V-4 4x10 speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdacox, Mar 20, 2018.

1. mdacox

mdacox

Mar 7, 2017
    Asheville, NC
    Hey guys, so I recently picked up an early 70s V4 head. It looks beat up but it has new tubes and caps and it sounds fantastic.

I walk into Guitar Center yesterday and they have the matching V4 cabinet! It sounded great when I plugged it in so I naturally picked it up. Judging from the cones I could guess that not all of the speakers were matching. It turns out all of them are different haha.

I'll be attaching pictures of the 4 speakers, so two questions:
    1: are any original? I know the two Fender ones probably aren't.
    2: what speakers could I replace these with? A good standard bass speaker that can handle the 100w tube head.

I played guitar and bass through this cab. Guitar sounds wonderful, punchy and loud. Bass sounds good, but at the same volume as the guitar test (2 and 2.5 out of 10), it distorted more easily, didn't sound as thumpy and heavy as I expected. Could it be someone tried to make this into a guitar cab? Anyways, lemme know your opinions on these speakers and what I might need to replace these with.

First AND second speakers: IMG_20180320_173515. IMG_20180320_173520.
    IMG_20180320_174107. IMG_20180320_174120.

Third speaker, way bigger magnet and heavier:

IMG_20180320_172000.

IMG_20180320_171930.

Fourth speaker:
    IMG_20180320_175617.

IMG_20180320_175627.

Attached Files:

2. OEM replacements for the win. :thumbsup:

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Well, I think the fourth is an Eminence. And BTW, boooo on the rest for not having any impedance marked. Have you at least checked the cab with a DMM to be sure there isnt any craziness happening with the load? Like any of the drivers being 4 or 16 ohm? Does the wiring look alright/ correct for series-parallel?

The third speaker (to me) looks similar to MCM drivers.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If these are 10” speakers that’s not a V4 cab, the V4 cab was a 4x12. There’s a similar sized cab called the B40 which was a 4x10 of the same era.

The eminence speaker at the end has a 97 date code, looks like most of these have the same or similar (fender?) part number in blue. Might be a clue as to what their intended use was.

5. mdacox

mdacox

Mar 7, 2017
    Asheville, NC
    I have not checked the load of the cab or the speakers, I'll check if my roommate has a tester laying around! I'm not familiar enough with speaker wiring to know by looking.

There's an "Ampeg V-4" plate on the back of the cab, so I guess it is a 4x12!

I put my head on the 8 ohm selector to be safe, and guitar and bass sound good, but I'll check the load soon to double check there's nothing crazy with the wiring. I have a local shop that's great at repairing old cabs and amps so I may take it to him.

The fender speaker magnets are pretty small and lightweight compared to the big black unlabeled one. Is it possible the big black one is the original and the fender ones are guitar speakers? I have no clue about the other one. It's black and small but no markings. This is frustrating. At least I have 45 days to return it haha.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Most of them appear to be factory fender speakers for guitar amps.

Ive seen the blue label and the brown goldish label speaker in various open back fender combos.

My blues deluxe reissue has the exact same brown/gold speaker and its a 40 watt open back combo.

Anyways without being negative this looks like a horrid contraption devised by guitar players. Thinking if you put mismatched speakers in the same airspace youll get best of both worlds. This amazing high end this amazing lowend this amazing speaker breakup all in one cab!!! Woo hoo.

In reality it sounds like absolute poopy doop of phasing farting chuffing boomy open back speakers cramed into a sealed box. Yayyy.

Anyhoo i had a pair V4 cabinets and used it for bass. I updated all the speakers to Eminence Beta12A2 drivers which work well in a sealed cabinet. And stomps all over any sealed 410

Wiring 4x8ohm speakers in series/parallel will yeild a 8ohm load

Anyways of all the six billion different variety of guitar speakers that eminence makes. Most factory guitar speakers or special design speakers blah blah are based on the typical legacy models or in this case legend models. And easily compared by matching the typical 1.5 , 1.75 and 2" voicecoils matched to the magnet weight. Most common legend 1218 legend 1258 legend 1275 legend GB128 legend V1216 legend V128.
    Which all mimic the same old guitar speakers for whatever application needed. Or your basic large magnet small magnet 55hz or 75hz. Light cone heavy cone blah blah blah celestion speakers.

So in plain english those are eminence guitar speakers lol

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018