1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help idntify a greco j bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcsan2s, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jcsan2s

jcsan2s

May 9, 2008
    Good day, can anyone help me identify this greco?

ive already tried google and the search function of this forum .

TIA

2884373376_2c04efdc0f_m.

2884373386_d906f28228_m.

2884409526_23fff6746b_m.

2884409520_69a245c215_m.

2. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    This to me looks like very eartly 70's. About 75-76 things got a lot more accurate copy-wise. I'm betting it is a 3 pc. neck? Maybe the neck plate says 'steel reinforced'? The truss rod is at the headstock w/ a cover, not at the heel like a Fender or a later copy.
    Is it yours? How does it play?

Those look like the exact same humbuckers that are on my 77 Greco Hofner copy, they are actually pretty hot.

3. jcsan2s

jcsan2s

May 9, 2008
    its offered to me for a trade deal.. :)
    not sure with the neck construction yet, ill be seeing it in a couple of hours, "made in japan" stamped at the neck plate no "steel reinforced" stamped.

thanks

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Very nice!

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    One piece body?

Are you sure that's not plywood?

When they spray the black into the contours on those early Japanese basses like that, it's usually to hide the ply's in the wood.

6. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Oh my! That makes my 18 cm go 22!

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had a 70's MIJ very similar to this, great sounding little cheapie I got on ebay. The pickups were the same, but the body was definitely plywood. If you looked into the pickup cavities you could see all the layers in the wood. Very smooth neck, great player.

Best of luck!

8. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have a very similar bass that was branded as Goya, best info shows a manufacture date of 1968 stamped in the neck cavity. I believe it was originally manufactured by Matsumoku who also built Greco's, Aria's, Kent's and some Hagstroms from that period. I switched out the original fretted neck with a 1970 Tokai fretless which matched up perfectly with the body.

My bass is a two-piece body, likely some type of ash. I have seen many of that type that were ply, as well. During the late '60's early '70's a wide variety of differing types of basses were pushed out of the Matsumoku factory. I have the same pups in the same placement, basicially looks like the same bass although my burst finish is a bit lighter.

I have a few more details here, don't know how much they'll help ...... here's a few pics ......

Original pic when I bought it

[​IMG]

Shot of the pickups before rewiring/cleaning

[​IMG]

Bass body

[​IMG]

Tokai headstock

[​IMG]

9. jcsan2s

jcsan2s

May 9, 2008
    thanks pointbass :)