Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help ignorant fool with Sadowsky Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey guys - I was looking on eBay and noticed a Sadowsky Metro UV 70 for sale. I don't have any experience with Sadowskys or Laklands, but after reading about it - looks like a killer Jazz bass, made by Sadowsky in Japan. I put all these things together and it spells excellent instrument at a fairly good price. But, I can't tell - are all Sadowskys and Laklands "Active"? Based on a Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz I have, I prefer passive. If the Metro UV 70 was passive I'd buy it (or if their active sounds a whole lot better and more realistic and authentic than Fender's).

Skel

2. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    AFAIK, all Sadowsky's are active; however, they do have a push-pull or a switch to change to passive. Laklands are mixed - some active models (e.g., Skyline 55-02), some passive (e.g., Joe Osborne).

Not really sure what "realistic and authentic" means in the context of an active bass sound, but most people who buy a Sadowsky do so at least in part because of the Sadowsky electronics (esp. the preamp), which are excellent.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So, *all* Sadowskys, including the Metro have this switch to change to passive? I might love the active electronics on it. I've only judged active electronics on a MIM deluxe jazz and that may not be a very good evaluation, but if it had a switch like you are talking about - I'm getting a Metro UV 70. It appears that it would be a Geddy Lee or higher quality Jazz bass with, I guess, a modern "C'ish" neck. I realize some Sadowsky owners are laughing at comparing one to a Geddy, but if the Metro is as good as a Geddy, quality wise - I'd be thrilled.

Skel

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They do have an active/passive deal. However; if you get a VTC installed, you can still control the tone in passive mode, and if it has a maple board, it'll cut some of the highs.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And as I'm typing this stuff, on my left is an add for "Ken Smith" (never heard of 'em) - they have a "Brooklyn Gear" 70's Jazz bass for $895.00. Can anybody comment on this bass?

Skel

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So, without the VTC - you can switch it to passive mode, but there is no tone control - like the tone is turned all the way up? If so, that would work just fine for me.

Skel

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard that if you are really getting the sadowsky to play in passive you should go with single coils over the humcancelling.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    +1

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Man - that's you? Very cool, indeed. I wouldn't mind finally just saying I play a Sadowsky - sounds like you're in the big leagues.

Skel

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok, I found my bass - A Sadowsky Metro MV4 '59 Burst. I'd rather have 2 good basses than 1 good one and 4 "ok" ones.

Skel

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm on Sadowsky's website, and all I want to do is buy my MV4 '59 Burst. They have 3 in stock, but I can't figure out how to buy the damn thing. Do you have to call them?

Skel

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont believe they have a buy it now option on their website and they are not open on the weekends but I would sugest emailing Roger Roger@sadowsky.com to reserve one untill you can call monday.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, that seems to be "the deal" - I'll e-mail him right now and reserve one. It's gonna be so cool to own a Sadowsky! You guys ever noticed that if you have top notch gear, there is nothing to hide behind, no excuses - it makes you a great player, IMHO.

Skel

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    YOU make you a great player, but this will give you incentive to practice.

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, that's what I meant - I love the challenge of making good gear sound the way it deserves to and it would be offensive to play a nice instrument poorly. Kevin from Sadowsky already got back with me, even though they're closed today. He's e-mailing me an authorization form I have to fax back, and he officially pulled and reserved my bass. I just feel like if players ever see you pull a Sadowsky out, you better be good! I know that's what I would expect.

Skel

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Congrats You'll love it. I have a uv70's 4 string. I also have 3 NYC's. I've owned 14 overall. They are excellent instruments. If you gig and record, you'll really love your new bass. They are work horses!

Check out this one, Woodchuck!!

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/pop_up_artists/desantis.html

Rob

18. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    Got my UV70 in January, have hardly put it down. You will love it. I was playing a Ken Smith Burner, which usurped my '75 Jazz as my main bass. The Metro leaves both these basses in the dust. An amazing instrument, ridiculous response, tone of tone...I am energized by this instrument. I bought it stock, no VTC, but the active sound is so expressive, I rarely opt out of it. Worth every dollar.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'm trying to be like you, LaMarquis, and Darrell Freeman!

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Like me? You mean old, skrawny, and burned out. LOL

Rob