Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help im alil stuck

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pumo420, Apr 28, 2002.

1. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    i wasnt sure what forum to put this in.

in my creative jazz class were playing a song called recordame by joe henderson some of you know that it has an latin influence. after the pickup note i found myself playing a 1,5 and occosionnally adding the 8th. now im still new to latin and was wondering if somone new other ways or some lessons to play in latin.

thanks in advance
    :confused:

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Lots of latin bass uses the "dotted quarter-eigth" rhytmic pattern. One bit of spice that almost always works with that pattern (and others, too) is to play 1, 4#, 5, 2b, etc. That is, approach the strong notes (beats 1 and 3) from 1/2 step away. Not only does this REALLY strongly help the others know where you're going (the 1/2 step is the strongest force in music -- USE it!), it also adds a bit of dramatic color to the whole proceeding.

3. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    thank you so much. that 4# and 2b really helped alot. do you know of any latin and or spanish scales?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to be careful in "Latin" tunes,as the bass player; because it is nearly always about the groove - this is basically a music or feel for dancing and to over-complicate can be the worst thing.

Boss Nova is a very light feel where simplicity is the key concept - subtelety is everything!

There are Spanish scales, but generally they are inapproriate in what is known as Latin music - although this term covers a very broad range of styles of music!

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I can agree to the extent that when you're playing for dancers, you need to lay it down clean and solid for them.

BUT, for a creative jazz class -- which is primarily about LISTENING music as opposed to DANCING music -- then you can get a little more complex and perhaps stray off the beaten path. Small group -- two or three horns -- you can let it all hang out and try anything. Although in a big band, you probably want to stay closer to the simple and strong side.