Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, Im confused about 'Double Slapping'?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Carrillo, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Carrillo

Carrillo

Mar 29, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    First off... Ive been playing slap for a while now, and im doing pretty good, previously I had been playing with a pick for like 7 years... i got sucked into punk rock and Matt Freeman style bass.

Anyways, a buddy of mine sais I should learn Double Slap which is using ur thumb, and then your pinky? I have been trying to do this but I am getting no result... I have been looking on the forums,and all I found which is Double Thumping, which even confuses me more!!!

Is there such thing as double Slap?

2. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    Become superhuman i have always wanted try and learn that....My friend can do it for one or 2 times but it becomes dead really fast

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but do you mean using the thumb, quickly followed by the other side of your hand?

If so, I do this, but it isn't all too practical. Try keeping your index finger straight and use it as the axis of rotation. The "proper" motion is twisting the wrist back and forth, but try to stay relaxed or you'll get hurt. Also, don't just use your pinky - for a more percussive effect, use your ring and pinky together.

Hope this helps!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    when I first read your post I thought "what the hell is this kid on?" then I realized that what you decribed is a technique I've used alot in the past and still do on occasion. heh.
    I just keep my pinky stiff and alternate thumb pinky by twisting my wrist. I used to do it just messing around whenever I was soloing or something and lost interest...or hit a wrong note ;)
    it will definatly help you to learn by just practicing on any surface. not just your bass. you can do it anywhere and thats what I like about it...

5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Yup you can practice it anywhere. Annoys many people of all ages, I find. but dont worry, they will be secretly impressed.

I actually discovered it by accident some time ago when trying to play the bass solo bit on 'A certain shade of green' by incubus, and now use it all the time (possibly too much!?) and after lots of practice (!) it should become a very satisfying effect useful for little fills etc.

Good luck with it, let me know how you get on!

6. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    I did that once.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I think that's what P-Nut does on "What Was I Thinking" I'll try it...anything that can help me get that intro down cleanly!

8. tummage

tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    You can use that technique if you want. What I do is I point my index finger keeping it kinda stiff and then just roll between the thumb and pinky. Kinda like your index finger is the beak of a hummingbird, and roll your hand to make the thumb and pinky flap like the wings.

BtW-- I have always heard double thumping as a combination between left and right hand.
    The right hand thumb strikes a string, and then you either do a hammer on or hammer mute with the left.

Try to develope it as though you were doing a drum roll.

And if you are going to practice this, get yourself a beginning drum book and learn to play drum rudiments using the above technique as drumsticks.
    You'll thank me if you do. LOL
    Tummage:cool:

9. "What was I thinking" isn't using anything more than the thumb and index finger on the right hand... it's using the "two-handed slapping" technique though, where the right hand is slapping followed quickly by the left hand slapping... that bassline is actually a perfect example/intro/lesson/practice of that...

John

10. Carrillo

Carrillo

Mar 29, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for all the help people

Still cant do it tho

oh well

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i figured out how to do this trying to recreate a fieldy type sound but i then found it more useful for incubus "a certain shade of green" as mentioned above. when ur thumb bounce of the string just let it keep goin untill ur pinkie hits then back again, as though u are doing the steriotypical surfer (or atleast in england!!) hand thing with the thumb and pinkie out and just rotate a bit.

I usually use it when i'm slapping every now and then to make people wake up in a "*** was that!?!?" kinda way, it is more effective if used sparsely.

12. another good technique is to try and give your slaping up strokes and down strokes Like this...

Say you slapping on the A string when you strike it try to have your thumb land inbetween A and D on the Fretboard and then move your thumb in the oppisite direction and strike the string again on the way up...it takes lots of practice...I learned this particular technique at an Alain Caron bass clinic.

PS you have to go back up at a certain angle so that you don't use too broard a range of motion and hit another string, in this case the E string.

13. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    That type of slapping is easily heard in Higher Groung by the Chili Peppers.
    It's twice (quick) with your thumb followed by a pop with your index or middle finger,
    (whichever you use most comfortably)

14. Does anybody know for sure what bass he is using? Interesting tone.

15. Warwick Streamer 2 5-string