Help...I'm Crossing Over To The Dark Side

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, May 12, 2005.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just picked up a Kydd Carry-On EUB and I'm having a blast with it. May just convince me to someday pick up another fretless bass guitar. :cool:
  2. As soon as I have some money... I am all over a fretless! I played a tacoma thunderchief in a store a few months ago for like 2 hours that was fretless. I fell in love... but I want an electric 5 string. I should play around with an EUB... I bet I would be gassing for one afterwards too.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Resistance is futile: You will be assimilated... :eek:

4. Hello,

I have played the Tacoma (Fender) CB series as well. Did you play the CB 10 or the CB 28? I really fell in love with the CB 28. However I did not buy it. Instead, I played an Acoustic Bass by a Luthier in Olympia Washington called Wickstrom. I played on e of his basses at a musician's summit in Tacoma Washington. This is also where the Tacoma (Fender) factory is as well. Anyway, I really liked the fretless bass he had on display. It was a Sitka spruce top, padouk sides and back, ebony fingerboard and western maple neck. It played great, sounded incredible, but I thought it could have had more projection. I did not buy that one even though I had my hand on the credit card. I decided to call Wickstrom directly. I talked to Craig Wickstrom, the luthier himself. I asked him if we could build a bass just like the one at the conference, but with maple sides and back, and just a bit deeper. His basses employ the jumbo body style. Great low end, and with the maple sides and back, great projection as well. It could be heard in addition to an acoustic guitar in an unpluged situation. It is just great.

The reason I bring this up is The CD 28 F, (the is the Tacoma acoustic bass with ebony fingerboard, maple sides and back, sitka spruce top and fretless) runs about $1300 with deluxe case. Wickstrum guitars was able to custom had make and tap tune the bass into greatness.....for about the same price depending on what you add to the bass.

I you want further information, please drop me a line. I would be happy to talk about my Wickstrom.

5. Please PM me! It will be a while as I just shelled out big $$$ for a Stambaugh custom 5 string but I would love to get a quality AGB! I played a taylor fretless once and didn't like it too much even though I swear buy their acoustic guitars. I would also like to know what changes you made from the base model if you can!