Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I'm in dial-up hell.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by emor, Oct 2, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Well, I think it's about time to join the 21st century and get a high speed internet connection. Up until recently, it didn't make that much difference, but then I joined TB and started listening to music clips online, etc., and dial-up has just become intolerable. Also, AOL has been kicking me off a lot lately--I don't know if it is a software glitch or something wrong with the phone line, but I'm using it as an opportunity to upgrade.

Some questions:

I have heard that cable is better/faster than DSL. Is this right? (Also, if my problem is with the phone line, I assume I would still have a problem w/DSL).

What is required to convert to broadband (hardware)?
    Is it something I have to purchase, or is it leased from the cable company (like the old cable TV boxes)?

Can I still have a TV hooked up to the same cable as the computer by using a splitter of some kind, or do I have to have another line brought into the room?

Does anyone have AOL for broadband, and is it worth staying with AOL? It would cost an extra $1.05 plus whatever the cable co. would charge for the service. (Not that I can't afford an extra buck five a month, but AOL is already more expensive than others.)

If I choose to go with another ISP, is there an easy way to transfer my address book and favorites to the new service, besides entering each one individually? (I probably have a couple of hundred bookmarked sites.)

Do most other companies provide homepage space for their clients?

Thanks for any help you can give,
    emor

2. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Oh yeah,
    If I move to another ISP, would I have to re-register with TB and other forums, etc.?

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Nope. If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to access TB from anything but your own computer at home. But you can.

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've been using cable since '97 and I would *never* consider going back to a dial-up. I think you're better off with cable than DSL even though cable is generally more expensive (at least it is in my area).

As far as hardware, you'll need a network card (if you don't have one already) and the cable modem (which you'll either rent from the cable ISP or purchase out right).

Here's a good broadband site:
    www.speedguide.net

Go for it.

Tom

5. I've been using Roadrunner (cable) for about a year now and its pretty amazing, compared to dial up and most dsl plans. I say "most" because if you're willing to dish out alot more money, there are some really speedy dsl services (NOT the standard $30/month ones)

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In my area the DSL that is faster than cable costs the same amount as cable (through SBC, check their website for your area). Then there's the DSL that has 1.5bmps DL time for $26.99 per month. The DSL that offers 3mbps DLs is $44.95 per month, which is the same as Roadrunner/Time Warner Cable which offers 2mbps DL speeds for that price.

Currently I have Roadrunner for $29.99 per month at 2mbps but that's just a special that ends in December. After that I'll probably switch to DSL. Until I get a job we DEFINITELY cannot afford more than I'm currently paying, which we can barely afford as it is.

brad cook

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Cable is generally faster, but it all depends on where you live. I used to live 30 miles down the road, and I've had both cable and DSL there, and neither was as fast as my DSL here.

If you go cable, a splitter will work fine. It goes from the splitter into a cable modem, which you can purchase or lease at something like $6-$7 a month.

Also, avoid SBC like the plague. The plague, I say. Horrible, horrible customer service, billing errors (I had seven bills with significant mistakes in 2 years!), and they randomly disconnected either my phone or DSL whenever they felt like it. If they cut off your DSL, you will wait a month (which they will bill you for) before it comes back on.

The final straw was when I had no long distance on my account, and they sent me a bill for $471.32 in long distance calls. Which I never made, and in fact COULD NOT HAVE MADE. When I called them up to complain, I was told that the ONLY way to resolve this situation was for me to go ahead and send them that $471.32 and then they would "launch an investigation" and if it was determined by them that my bill was in error, the credit would be added to my account. :eyebrow:

I do not have five hundred dollars lying around to hand over whenever my phone company feels like it.

SBC is the worst company I've ever purchased a service from.

:mad: :scowl: :spit:

8. trust me emor, you want dsl/cable. when i first got it, it was a world of difference. everything downloads 10x faster, and no missed calls, or even getting disconnected because someone did call!
    trust me...its worth the extra money!

as for AOL, thats your choice...i wouldn't but thats me

as for address books, you shouldn't have to...

Charlie

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I had no problems with my SBC for 1.5yrs that I had DSL and the 3 or so years that I've had my phone. 1 person's problem doesn't make them a crappy company. Doo doo happens.

brad cook

10. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thanks to all for the advice.

Jake,
    Our cable service is with Time Warner (Roadrunner)--Do you know if they provide their clients with homepage space?

Tom,
    Thanks for the link--I'll check it out.

Any thoughts regarding the favorites/address book question?

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cable or DSL depends on area. DSL is generally a little cheaper, and on average, (if your panties are begining to tighten, note I said on average, look it up) cable is faster. EG. in Greenfield MA, with $50 you can get 1.5mbps dsl through a business act. or you can get 3mbps from cable. However, DSL has some cheaper, slower options that blowthe doors off dial up and are only about ten bucks more.

edit: also, everyone so far has quoted speeds downstream, if you plan to use the net for uploading anything you should check into those speeds too, as they can and almost always are much slower than downstream. For obvious reasons I guess, but it might be important if you want to work on websites or anything where you might host large files, like video or mp3's.

12. The newer cable modems have a USB connection as well so you don't need a network card if you get one of those.

13. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Check epinions.com
    Google SBC sucks
    Google SBC hell

And regardless of quality of service, a company policy that states that even if they made a mistake, I have to pay out five hundred dollars until they get around to checking it out is not good.

Neither is seven bills out of twenty four with significant (over $50 worth) of mistakes.