HELP! i'm itching for a chorus pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spidersbass, Oct 7, 2005.

1. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    the only pedal that catches my eye is the Electro Harmonix Small clone, and thats only becauase i got the Russian Muff Pi and i LOVE it. and i also like that stomp switch style... not like BOSS. but anways, is this pedal any good? and also, if you can point me in the direction of a better chorus pedal, that would be nice. i'd like one with an actual depth control, not just a lil switch, which is the only downside i see from the small clone. my price range is less than 100 bucks
  2. I recomend Analogman Chorus Clone, with Deep mod, that will run you $250 + $7.00 shipping.

or, my second recomendation is the MXR M-134 Chorus which is $169.99 and can get for free shipping from and so forth.

Recomend because both have True Bypass which is very important to me personally, and both sound great. Analogman takes the cake in tone... I'm still in awe over mine, but MXR is a great chorus pedal w/ many more features the the Small Clone.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    At your price range you're limited to the mass produced big players (Boss, DT, Ibanez). I have a Boss and I like it. Some folks here have DTs and they like em too.
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I own and use the BOSS CEB-3, and have mixed feelings about it, as a 'chorus', per se. It seems to me that a chorus can lean more toward phaser or flanger.

The guitarist for the Classic Rock band I'm in has one called "H2O" (it's a delay too, if I remember correctly); this thing sounds real liquid-like (hence the name, I s'pose) - like 'floating' - makes you dizzy. I'd call this more of the 'phaser-type'. Also the chorus that's built into the Fostex multitracker that we use is more like this.

The CEB-3 sounds more like a doubler or flanger. I guess I say 'doubler' because whether you think of phase or flange, you can picture a certain liquid-y "turn your head inside-out" effect as they sweep - know what I mean? Well - the BOSS doesn't seem to offer this, no matter HOW you set it. It's more like the sound of an old analog delay with the time set between 'shorter-than-slap' and 'long-flange', with the feedback turned way down. There's a pitch-shift, of course, but it doesn't let you adjust the 'range' of times that it sweeps across (I guess I'm not really saying that it should, but the 'old analog delays' that I'm talking about would - and it would be pretty cool).

(edit) Oh - I forgot to finish the main point that I started-out with: At the more extreme settings, there's a definate 'flange'-sound to it (I mean you can hear the sweeping pitch, like with a flanger); not so-much like a more lush 'phaser'-sound, as I more-picture a 'true chorus' should be.

The low-cut filter for the effect-part of the sound IS a very good idea! It lets you keep the effect off of the fundamental freqs, and only process the harmonic character. This low-cut, along with the second output also lets you set up the "UniBOSS" effect - a V E R Y cool thing...

I put mine after the OD/distortion, and usually keep the filter-knob way-down like between 9:15 or 10:30, so it's effecting only the high-freqs.

5. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I tried the Small Clone and loved it, although I decided on the Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus. I got the old 18volt off ebay ebay for $39 including shipping. I figured, if I didn't like it, it wasn't the end of the world, but I really love this pedal. It's probably not true bypass, but I don't notice any signal loss. Do a search for it here, there are several people that swear by this pedal.

As for the Small Clone, I think the new ones are true bypass. And you just can't go wrong with EHX.
  6. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    A used Boss CE-2 can be had for under 100, and there's nothing like it.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think H2O is made by Visual Sound. Costs about $160.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK - now I've been thinking about this all weekend...

On last Sat.'s gig I asked the gee-tarist if I could borrow his H2O pedal for a set (it was a private party, and kind of small, so I got to mess-around with it for about twenty minutes after the set too). I even had a couple of the party-goers over by me on break giving me their opinions as I A/B'ed the chorus-part of the H2O with my CEB.

We all agreed that the CEB sounded BETTER; that - on BASS anyway - the H2O chorus was barely even hearable as an effect at ALL, in fact! The CEB-3 was a light-but-noticeable, and a pleasing-sounding effect! I use the CEB with the filter control way-over by 9:30-or-so, so I'm only effecting the higher freqs - in fact I SET the knob by turning the RATE and SPEED up all-the-way, pinging a G-string octave harmonic, and tuning the Filter Control so the lowest harmonic comes out of the 'warble-zone'; this way, I'm really only chorusing the harmonics, and no fundamentals, to speak-of. STILL, the CEB was a deeper effect.

I guess what I'm left thinking is that the CEB is a better chorus than I even thought - I'm going to take more time with it to make it a better part of my sound - but I think that maybe I was sort-of picturing a PHASER-sound in my mind when I thought of having chorus in my setup...

Makes me think of that Pigtronix unit...

9. PureRockRoll

Apr 24, 2005
    i have an old ehx clone theory and that thing is sweet. i mainly got it as a tribute to Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order) but i really do love that pedal. it creates noise though, even when it's turned off, but i think it's mainly because it's old and it's totally worth it for me. it cost me about $150 on ebay. i'd go with the small clone though. can't argue with kurt cobain can we? it's a great pedal and it runs around $80 so it's not too incredibly expensive. the h2o sounds cool but i've never tried it.
  10. Just.. try.. them.. out..

It is REALLY what you like, if you said: what's the difference between boss and EHX? That would be a question. This is just giving oppinions ;)
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My personal favorite is a Peavey BAC-2 I grabbed NOS for $20 shipped. For $160 back in the day, I got a great deal and to me there's nothing like that lush Peavey bass chorus.