Help, I'm new and I snapped a string!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by No Remorse, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Hey, I snapped the D string on my ERB300 ii, and I'm going to buy a new set. So I go to the Dean Markley sight and it's got these numbers. Example:

XL .040 .050. etc.

What does all this mean? Is it something to do with my string height? If so, how do I measure it?
  2. What's that? Remember I'm new so I don't know all these terms.
  3. its the girth of the string, or how big around it is
  4. Oh okay. Thank you. So is that in inches or centimetres?

Do you think Dean Markley Blue Steel strings are a good buy for a second set?
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Those numbers have nothing to do with string length. If your bass is 34" scale, get some long scale strings.
  6. All I want to know is, what are those numbers, and what strings would be most appropriate.
  7. If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    .050 string = 1.27 mm
    .105 string = 2.67 mm
    The higher the number the thicker the string.
  9. Thank you. How do you know all those measurements? Is there a guide somewhere?
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I just happened restring my bass earlier today. I'm trying out some D'addario XLS strings that I got for $2.99 a set. The empty packages have the guage and mm measurements.
  11. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Learning what strings you like on your bass is a process, so at this point as long as they will fit on the bass, you cannot make a wrong choice. Everyone has personal preference's and other good 2nd choices. Certain strings do have certain qualities.....but you don't know what you are looking for yet so just get any good quality string after you have read some input in the strings forum.
  12. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I've heard blue steel is good, but mostly from my guitar friends.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    blue steel have a very tight, crisp yet warm punchy tone to them. IMO they're a good string.

As stated the best way to find out is to shop around, try them, then try another brand untill you find the ones that you like best. What I like you may not, what you like someone else may not, its all personal preference, so its best to just shop around untill you find the set that works best for you.
  14. .040" is 40 thousandths of an INCH

Start with a Medium gage and go from there (45-100/105)....Try Flatwounds, too....
  15. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Here Ya Go:p This ought to get yer brain a'smoken ;)

Try the DR Low Riders ......Your gonna love um:D ;)
  16. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    I tried some DR's before but they seem to go to dead pretty fast and I found a dead string in one of those. I don't tihnk they have as good a quality control product as other brands do. I personally like the Hybrid Slinkys but I've never tried any strings other than the normal brands you see in big commercialized music stores. Oh and the Hybrids are nice bright bouncy. The gauge only means how thick it is, if you've noticed the strings are no all the same thicknest...
  17. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I tried some Ernie Ball Slinkys once and they went dead in a couple of weeks. They sounded O K at first but just didn't measure up to D R quality and tone. I quickly went back to D Rs which I change only because I feel I have to, "it must be time by now!!!" Cause they last For FREAKEN EVER :rolleyes:

See What I mean. Bite the bullet and buy any quality string. Good Luck. And there is a whole forum here , right here, devoted to strings. If you can write, you can read.:p