1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help! im not smarter than my aguilar db750!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jstringer, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Hi,

if anyone can offer a dufus some advice its much appreciated. :D :help:

i just got a db750, great! but i can't get any sound to my cabinets. the aguilar has speakon outputs only which is fine. but i do not own any speakon to speakon cables. but i do own a speakon to 1/4 cable half breed. but still no sound.

also, is it because of the 2 pin or 4 pin speakons? the one half cable is a 2 pin speakon end.

thanks...

2. it does make a slight "crackle" in the speaker when i move the master volume. it doesnt sound bad but this makes me wonder why i still can't hear anything.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Make sure the wires in the Speakon connector go into the +1/-1 terminals.

4. man, please realize i don't know what i'm doing when it comes to that stuff.

how can i check that? i don't even know how to take the speakon connector apart? :rollno: i feel hopeless!

thanks!

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It's actually very simple. Just unscrew the back of the connector and move it back on the cable. Then get in some good light and look for the tiny little embossed numbers next to where the wires are inserted.

Here's an assembly diagram from the Neutrik site.

6. k. thank you this is making sense now.

but i think i still can't do anything b/c i have a two pin speakon cable right? i just see one positive wire and one negative wire.

also, its a little different than the diagram, i can unscrew the back of it but then im stuck, the black tabs appear to be attatched to the whole plastic piece and will only break off not come out.

if i just go but a 4 pin connector for 10 bucks will this amp work? lol :hyper:

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, if you have a two-pin Speakon, you just need to make sure the wires are inserted into the recepticles. The black retainer thingy clamps down on the cable and kind of gets embedded, so you may have to wiggle it a little to get the assembly to slide back. All three claws are attached to each other, and they all move as a unit.

Even though you see only two wires going into the plug, you still may have a four-pole plug. It'll work just fine as long as the wires go into the +1/-1 recepticles. C'mon, man, you can do it!

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    you can do it!!!! I did...

9. i think i can i think i can. lol :hyper:

when i get home from work today i'll give an update and see what happens. :D

10. so i think the problem is a little deeper than it appears. please help if you can :help: :eek:

i took everything to my local music store, we changed my 2 pin speakon to the +1 -1 configuration, and still no sound out of the cabinet. I know the bass and cabinet being used works by the way. I even tried different instrument cables.

the DI on the amp doesnt appearantly work either, so im thinking the input on the amp is messed up, also the two screws on the bottom of the amp are loose that hold the upper circuit board.

also, all the tubes glow red, but if i lightly tap them no sound comes out.

the red clip light does not come on if the gain is maxed.

the blinking blue "test" light does go solid, this confuses me because it should show that everthing is ok right? the only thing else i know to try is getting a 4 pin speakon with all 4 cables attatched.

please help!! :help: :help:

11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    You DO have it in OPERATE Mode and not Mute, right? Both Blue lights on above the black switch on the right??

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    seconded...

13. both lights are solid man...

14. This is going to sound more-basic-er... but have you turned up the gain button?

The tube glowing red doesn't mean anything, it's simply that the heater is being powered... the triode itself could be dead or simply not working (sorry for the gory details :) ).

You could swap the two tubes to see if it makes a difference.
    The fact that they are different is no problem, the difference between the two is just gain... you should still hear something.
    And while you have the tubes out of their socket, you can check if a pin is bent or broken...

Good luck :meh:

15. i'll give it a try. im waiting on a email from aguilar as well, but im calling them at lunch too.

16. talked to Mark at Aguilar, a couple of things to try,

1. check the tuner out to see if anything is coming through the amp

2. send a signal from the effects send of the aggy to the effects return of my other known working head, my swr sm900 to see if we can get any sound out then.

he warned me of 65 dollar an hour labor also, plus paid shipping to and from new york. so minimum for me is 165 bucks total, minimum :mad: :mad: :rollno: :spit:

im going to file a claim with fedex as well, :rollno:

17. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Are the send and return knobs in the corect position?

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Have you tried running the amp and cable to a different cab? In other words, are you sure it's not the cab? Have you tried a different bass to see if it's not the bass? How about your instrument cable? Replace each one of these, one at a time.

You need to eliminate the bass, instrument cable, cabinet and amp before you pin it on the speaker cable.

19. ok, all said and done, its the head. something either with the input, outputs, or the preamp im guessing. i tested all the fuses as well.

and yes i took everything to a local music store, and the guy who owns it is a friend of mine. so we tested different cables, basses all of it. all the tubes are intact and glowing.

i cannot get any "audio" from the cabinet, the DI, the effects send and return, the preamp out to a different head and cabinet, the power amp in to a different head and cabinet, pushing and pulling every knob on the thing.

but i did have a moment of clarity, i ran the tuner out to a cabinet, and i got sound, i couldnt change the knobs and change the sound, nor would it get louder from the gain or volume, but it did get sound from the cabinet that way.

any thoughts? i'm calling aguilar back tomorrow to see what our next step is. i probably have to send it to the company.

20. well, its off to new york to aguilar. :crying: 2 weeks and lots of money im sure:scowl: :rollno: :spit: :bawl: