Help! I'm paranoid and need reassurance.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Well.........i'm sure by now all the frequenet TB members know about my constant cornial abrasion problems.....and......well.....i've become a little paranoid over my eyes. My teacher today said in biology that -8 and -9 vision was bad. And that worse vision puts you against the odds more for Retina Detachment (We watched a video of it and it scared me a lot). I have a -3.75 magnification and i'm a freshman. It's only going to get worse. But by then i'm guessing that vision corrective surgery will be better...and that will help. Anyways, I don't know what I'm asking really, I guess just a rant. Post comments.

EDIT: post your vision in magnification and your age. Thanks.
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    -1.5 and -1.75

i'm 19
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lets say you arent paranoid and your situation sucks as bad as you think...

What can you do about it?
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    -3.75 and -4.25 at age 34. If I wore glasses, they would be Coke bottles.

5. Nothing. At. All.
  6. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    i'm -8.00 in each eye, age 22... it's not so bad, I can still see fuzzy shapes and colors. :smug:
  7. Does anyone know the magnification of your eye if your legally blind?
  8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    -0.5 and -0.25... with some astigmatism in my right eye, i dunno which eye is which... nothing to complain about really. I'm 22.

My mom's pretty bad, she was around -4 when she was maybe 15, and she hasn't regressed that much since then. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about that retina issue. I'd be surprised if you went down to -8 or -9.
  9. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    I don't know about the magnification, but here's an explanation I found.
  10. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Yea, I'm not far behind with -7.5 and -7.25 at 22...
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

+10 (hyperopia), with a whole smorgasborg of other issues...20/200 vision when corrected, 20/400 when not, astigmatism, ocular albinism, can jab fingernail clippers into your eyes and you'll probably still see better than me ;)
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My point exactly.

If you cant do anything about it then you should stop worrying. Its pointless.
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Oooooooooooooooookay. There's one I haven't ever come across. Wowser. And possibly Ew.:eyebrow:
  14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    -4.75 in both eyes. Hasn't gotten substantiall worse since I was 18.

Talk to your eye doctor about any eye concerns you may have.
  15. well, 'least you'll never need any drugs; you can trip without having lenses on!

Whoa! a pun AND a serious joke... :p :ninja:
  16. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

Maybe not. My eyesight is only slightly better than that and hasn't deteriorated much in the last 20 years.

Find something worthwhile to worry about.
  17. My prescription has stayed the same (except for presbyoptia) from 9 to 60. My eysight is the same as yours.
  18. Let's see.... ...Don't have a sense of smell, nearly deaf in my right ear,taste is fairly muted 'cause of the smell thing... Sights the only sense of mine that works perfectly!

But yeah, it seems you just gotta roll with the punches!