Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! I'M POOR!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BluePinkGreen, Jul 29, 2002.

1. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    Ok guys, so I'm altogether poor. I could hardly afford my first rig which I got last november. An Ibanez sg400 (the really old ones with 3 knobs, 1993 i think) and a peavy basic 40 (1x12). The whole thing cost about $375. The problem is that me and one of my friends are always on the run, hanging out at the school and other places and he always has his guitar and he plays and I sing, but I'm tired of being left out so I wanna buy an acoustic bass. but the problem is cash. i'm prolly gunna have to buy it off of ebay and i won't have more than $175 ($200 tops) to get it with. I don't care if I get a cheap bass just as long as it's not so cheap that it's hard to play. I was looking at a galvaston, maybe an applause, or (dare I say it) maybe a rogue. I was wondering what you guys think I should do. thanks.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Get a job.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm with big wheel.. You should get a job there friend.. getting something because its cheap isn't such a good idea always. there are good buys out there.. but often you get what you payfor...

4. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    Hey, I hear ya, the problem is I'm 15 years old, can't yet drive (legally), and live right inbetween two towns making it a 15 minute drive to either one of them, so I have to wait about a year before I can get a job. man i wish i had a job

5. hmm..july 27, 1986....quick math makes ya 16 now lol.

But I dig the weezer reference man. Believe in the weez, and the way will be clear.

Lordy that's cheesy huh. :D

6. I'm 13 3/4 so I can't get a job or drive at all for 1¼ years. So I depend on yard work and dog sitting. No one needs a baby sitter. I want a job now but when I have one I'll probably hate it. But at least right now I don't have to pay taxes. Oh yeah, I am selling a Lionel train set for four or five-hundred smackers (USD). That'll be nice. I got some GAS for a Warwick Thumb.

7. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    lol, good call tufnuts, that hasn't quite clicked yet. but i still don't get my license for 6 months. sorry about that

8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Man... get one of those sefl amplified basses.....or get a job..... im 14 and i can get a job...hell... i've had 3 in the pst year.... and im not talking shoveling pooh for the parylized, hunchbag, hermaphadite who for some reason is filthy rich... im talking... painting 3 acres of horse corral fences... working at my gramma's office... and... i forgot the 3rd:D

9. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    Ok, I'm not getting a job, i live in podunk, ca and you have to drive to everywhere. plus i'm lazy and won't do most manual labor. that being said, i'm not looking for advice on money, i just want to know if anyone knows anything about the quality of galvaston, applause, or (cringe) rogue acoustic basses. It's not a nice bass i'm looking for, just a throw around acoustic i can grab and run to the park to play with my friends. i just don't want something so cheap it is hard to play.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont buy a cheap acoustic bass.

Plain and simple, you wont hear it.

The only good low price acoustic bass I can think of is made by Olympia, which is like the Squire of Fender, but of Tacoma.

I have the Tacoma, and can tell you that its the only ABG Ive played (and I played alot) that can play at the same or louder volumes than an acoustic guitar. It can outdo 2 acoustic guitars to!

Bottom line is, the Olympia is not cheap (I cant remember the price, but Ill guess $350), and anything else is like throwing your money away, so get a job.

On a side note:
    In Miami, its 15 minutes to get anywhere, and Its not that hard to get a job for me, it just requires getting ready 15 minutes earlier.

Peace
    Nick

11. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    Alright, in addition anyone have anything to say about Oscar Shmidt acoustic basses? good? crap? good crap? lemme know

12. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    Alright, in addition anyone have anything to say about Oscar Shmidt acoustic basses? good? crap? good crap? lemme know