Help im recording tomorrow and need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude888, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Bassdude888

Bassdude888 Guest

Jun 29, 2002
    Fort Wayne, In
    When i play my bass it maes a twanging sound. Its probably how i restrung it but i could pick up on the sax players mic. Its the bass and not the amp but i dont know hat to do. Its the actual bass.
  2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    When you strung up the bass, did you make sure that the windings on the pegs winded down? Meaning, you put the string on the tuning peg, and as you turn it to wrap the windings around the peg and tune up to pitch, each subsequent turn of the string is lower on the peg than the last?

The "Twang" may be because the string is not producing enough downforce on the nut, and the string is vibrating on the headstock side as well as the neck side. Stringing it as I describe should solve that.

Of course, this is just a guess, as it's really tough to discern just what sort of "twang" you've got.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Don't stand by the sax player?
    Seriously, are you that close in the studio? They can't seperate you more?

Can you pluck softer? Or are you using a pick?
    maybe I'm not quite understanding what's happening here...
    You're hearing your bass acoustically coming thru the sax mike? Is that right?

Tell me about how they're recording you, DI? No amp, right? Where are you located in the studio/control room?
  4. Bassdude888

Bassdude888 Guest

Jun 29, 2002
    Fort Wayne, In
    im playing on an amp but its the sound from te actual bass being plucked. I should probably pluck softer, but its just the tone of the actual bass sound. LIke if you have a bass guitar, no amp plugedn in and u just start to play, th tones a bit different and projects more.
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    *****srg put's the bong down*****
    ok thats enough of that

**disclaimer**** srg does not endorse or does himdels smoke the wacky tobacy.
  6. twang

Jul 10, 2002
    Plainfield CT
    yo im twang what kind of twang are we workin with a big twang a little twang a loud twang a sharp twang or a soft twang? wait im an idiot dont answere that
  7. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    That made me laugh out loud.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    maybe you should record separately... and try going through a direct box and not your amp... are you micing the amp?
  9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    FIND SOMEONE, with a BASS COMPACTOR by Tech 21. ROUND OUT THE SOUND and it makes a great direct box too.

10. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i don't believe it's his amp that's a problem. if i'm understanding this correctly, he can hear his strings as he plays (similar to as if he were playing on an abg) and he's worried about that sound coming through on the mics that are set up. not that i have a solution, i'm just trying to help clarify the problem to help him get a solution...
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I would restring the thing and make sure to wind the strings down on the posts so the most tension is adhered to the nut.

12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I guess my comprehension skills are ebbing low lately, I'm just not getting what he's talking about.
    I thought it was the bleed thru into the sax mike, but the subsequent posts made me think it was the overall bass tone. I just ain't gettin' it...
    sorry. Wish I could help.