Help! I'm tired of spending money on setups.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JeremyBender, Jan 8, 2002.

1. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    OK guys..
    Just came back from my favorite music store with a Badass II bridge and some Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz pickups for my Mexican Fender Fretless Jazz Bass. I also purchased a book on the advice of the salesperson titled "Guitar Player Repair Guide" He said this book will teach me how to this job myself. I told him it was a guitar book, and he said it's all the same. Somehow, I know this not to be true. I am tired of spending tons of money on repairs and set-ups because I know when I go home and install all this stuff, I am going to run into fretbuzz or somethign else and end up paying some set-up guy anyway. Does anyone have any advice for me? A book or website for Basses or Fretless Basses? I have been afraid of this stuff cuz I have made some very expensive mistakes in the past. Please help me! They say a book for maintaining and repairing basses doesn't exist. I have a hard time believing that.
  2. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001

Thanks for the links. There is a plethora of info there that is very useful.

Thanks again!
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    You're welcome.
  4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    That link has good info. But it is not bass specific
  5. A lot of the same techniques for setting up a guitar are the same for bass... just a bit different. I originally learned how to set up a guitar, and then transfered it over to bass. Setting string height, intonating, truss rod, pickup height, noisy pots, both occur on bass and guitar.
  6. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    Geezer.. that link has good info as well..

After reading the book I was told by that salesguy to purchase, you are right. It all apllies and there is much info on bass as well. It just goes to show I should have read the book before posting! Thanks a lot for the info though guys.. It all helps!
  7. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I have some set-up I have to do with my Kingston once it gets out of the shop (I have what may be a pup wired incorrectly due to the fact that my pots act like vol/vol instead of vol/tone) so I found this site that is dedicated to bass setup. I'm also going to raise the pickup and put new Ken Smith tapered roundwounds on it. I think it's a good site, anyway.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The first pic is cute, showing the string being cut with the diagonal pliers. My recommendation would be to not remove them that way, especially if you're new to this or on a budget. If you get in a jam, you can't reinstall a cut string;). Take the time and unwind the tuning peg until the string is loose enough to remove. It doesn't take that long.