1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!! I'm worried about my finger!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Oct 30, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Ok, so I've changed my technique, since which I have not found myself in pain (tendinitis or otherwise). However, I have found that I use my index finger the most, and sometimes, I feel it going a bit stiff in the middle of playing really hard it doesn't seem to happen too often, but sometimes it does. I'm wondering if this is something I should worry about. Is it a lingering effect of my tendinitis? my finger getting used to being so intensely used?

I'm not too freaked out, but I do get worried that I'm doing harm, or that it might not go away soon enough. Please help me out here.

2. coffin blurt

coffin blurt

Feb 6, 2010
    Upload a closeup of your right hand while playing.

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Can't do it right now, but come sunday I think I can. I've checked my technique, and looked at all kinds of "proper" photos. I'm doing it right. Technique is not a problem. I don't think it's [the stiff thing] too big a deal. when it happens, I take a rest from playing, and come back later, and the stiffness is gone or minimized to a zillionth. It happened for the first time in weeks this morning. Maybe it's just my hand warming up, and reacting to me starting to play. maybe stretches BEFORE would help.

4. Go back to how you were doing it- I assume you had no issues until you switched right?

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    try stretching exercises before you play. make sure to warm up with long slow notes. warm up and stretch your hands/fingers like an athlete prepares before a competition.

work on your technique to not use any more force to sound the note than is necessary. (i note you said that this happens when you play really hard. DON'T DO THAT!) also consider lowering the action on your instrument or using a lighter gauge string.

and drink lots of water

6. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I've figured it out. Yes. I need to stretch. No. My technique switch is not the issue. Yes. It's just my muscles warming back up and taking tension. And Yes. It is playing too hard that sometimes gets it going. When my amp is nice and loud, I find that I'm not playing quite as hard to hear myself above the vaccum at my house, or to get the punchy tone I like out of my amp. Then, I'm not stiff. Plus, warming up and stretching helps as I've already said. So I'm good. I've figured it out now. Thank you for your concern my friends. Hey moderators, whenever you'd like, go ahead and close this one.