Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help in choosing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Ok..first things first....I have no clue how to play bass so please keep things simple otherwise...I just wont understand it..I don't even know how to read music....do you think its possible for me to learn at all? And I'm not looking into being in a band anytime soon even after I do learn to play well...is bass fun enough to play alone to keep my interest? If the answer the all of the above is yes..I need help choosing a bass...I don't have much to spend..and I've seen Bass starter packs that look intriguing but I dont know their quality...as I said I don't need top of the line equipment since I'm just learning..what about this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...5057895760/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/46132 bass package? Is it pure junk ...I know it can't be great for that price but would it work ..? Also I'm left handed...which makes it fairly hard to just pick up a friends bass and tinker and also hard to find a starter pack...any info and or suggestions are welcomed..thanks alot.

2. The best thing to do would probably be to post your approximate budget here, and what you want to get for that budget. Make sure you pick up a left handed bass and play around, then a right handed and play around because I have a lot of left handed friends that play right handed guitar or bass. There are options for you no matter what the price range. Tell us what you want.

Mike

3. I'm a lefty, and play righty, it's just too hard to find left handed basses, you really limit yourself in your selection.

There is no reason why you can't play a right handed bass as well as a left handed one, as both hands are used with equal effort.

I'd stay away from Ibanez, the lower priced stuff is pure junk. I'd prefer to have a Squire P bass and a small combo amp. If you wanna get better stuff, look into used Mexican Fenders, they will be around $200.

The best practice amp out there is the Peavy Microbass, its really good, and plenty loud for your room. Try to find one used to keep the costs down.

Go to a local gauitar Center or Sam Ash *I prefer Sam Ash, I usually get better service* and ask for help

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think if you are learning and are only going to play by yourself, Ibanez is a good idea.

Ibanez is a good brand with good products, that most bassist around here dont like, because its just good, and not great.

For your needs that should be good. So would a Fender Squire starter kit.

Peace
    Nick

5. roxnmatt

roxnmatt

Jun 29, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    I actually went to a pawn shop for one of my basses, and as a starter that is not always that bad, sometimes you can get a decent bass for a really cheep price.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Here's Southpaw Guitars bass page ==> http://www.southpawguitars.com/bass.html

They've got a couple Squier P-J's, each ~$300.

:eek: oooo - eye candy! They also got a real purty lefty 6-string Roscoe
    fretless (albeit lined) with a gorgeous quilted maple top.

7. I would say my budget is $200-350 for bass and amp....not much I know but its all I can muster up at the moment...and I have thought about the pawn shop idea but I have no idea if I'm being ripped off or not since I know hardly anything about basses...And as some of you stated maybe I should try a right handed bass...one of my right handed friends just bought a new bass and might be willing to sell his old one...although I know nothing about it.....you guys have been great help...thanks once again.

8. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Ibanez sells a package deal called Jump Start I believe that is a decent beginner package from what I hear. It is a GSR-190 with a small practice amp and a strap and cord from what I hear. Can ge had for 295 at most guitar shops as far as I know.

9. some of the used stuff can be as good as the new if you know what your looking for.. here's an article which might be helpful..it lists the stuff to look for in a used guitars..

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/features/features_page.asp?ID=3018

and..

http://www.activebass.com/articles/item.asp?i=40

10. Get a used MIM fender *p or j* and a used amp, well within your range.