Help in choosing a rig. Versatility. (long-ish)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Meehaw, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Hi,

So here's the idea: I need to get me a new rig and I need to consider all my bands. I'm playing in a (let's call it) prog-metal band, Proghma-C (more info and links to music in this thread. Low tunings, lots of air to move in order to be comfortable. I also play in a RHCP cover band Monkey Funks, a pop-rock oriented thing (no problem), Elvis cover band (not much of a problem) and an operette (huge problem, because it is a very low volume thing). What I'm hoping to get is something that can be manageable to transport from a rehearsal/concert to another and would give me options to downsize it for quiet gigs by removing one cab and thus decreasing the power.

I was thinking a head and two cabs (a 2x10 and 1x15). I like the new Trace Elliott stuff (on paper - the one in the shop was broken...) and Ampeg, but I would need SVT6Pro, which, as I read in the reviews has a loud fan. Is the fan loud enough to be heard in a quiet set (for example with the drummer playing only the hi-hat?). I'd like the amp to have a compressor and some kind of an overdrive on board, but that's not 100% necessary.

As for the budget - I'd call it reasonable. Around the price tag of an SVT6pro plus reasonably priced cabs.

Thanks for your input, sorry for the long post!

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My suggestion: LM11 or Shuttle 6 or Carvin BX500 with 210 and 115 8 Ohm cabs of your choice.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My 6Pro doesn't have an overly loud fan. But, it's also not a "new" amp.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021