Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help in Choosing Bass Woods from Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corefunk, Jun 12, 2004.

1. corefunk

corefunk

Jun 12, 2004
    Hi fellow bassists,

Would appreciate if i could get some help in constructing this bass project of mine. I am going to make a custom bass from Warmoth. Its a 6 string Gecko bass an i have not done anything like this before. So would really appreciate some assistance.

Custom Setup :
    Body - Swamp Ash
    Neck - Maple/Purpleheart
    Fingerboard - Ebony
    Pickups - Basslines ASB-6
    Tone Circuit - STC3A

I want to achieve a tone that has a deep tight low tone and nice bight highs with pop. I'm trying to avoid muddy bass tones that have very boomy and low mid sounding. A standard would be a Yamaha TRB JP model. Wonder if my configuration of my custom bass from Warmoth would sound exactly what i want? If not, how can i make it sound like it. Need advise on the choice of bass woods.

Daryl :confused:

2. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Have you ever thought of EMG pups? They have very tight lows and bright snappy highs IMHO.

3. corefunk

corefunk

Jun 12, 2004
    I did. However, i heard that it can be quite overtly on the bright side.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    might try something other than ebony. That might make it too much on the bright side. Maybe Rosewood would be better to balance things out.

5. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    A wenge fingerboard might be another option, it will add some mid range punch.

6. Personally I think the fingerboard on a fretted bass (assuming your bass is fretted) will add little to nothing to the sound of the bass. This may not be the answer you're looking for, but personally I would choose the woods to make the bass as light or heavy as I wanted it to be and on appearance. Your biggest deciding factors will be pickup type and location and preamp.

7. corefunk

corefunk

Jun 12, 2004
    Gee thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it! So actually the wood doesn't really matter. It would be the pickups.... this is really interesting... i've always thought the wood had a big part to play in the sound. If thats the case, i'll have to re decide my pickups. I think an EMG, as what Kris said might be a good option.

However, how is the Basslines ASB -6 compared to an EMG Ceramic 6 Pups? Also, how much tone circuitry difference is there between the Basslines STC3A and an EMG? Does it deliver the sound i want? Coz i've heard the EMGs and they are very bright... yet delivering a nice tight low end mid punch. But i've heard it clanky before and that would be the last thing i wanna make it sound - clanky and boomy.

Also, does the placements of the pickups on the body make a difference? i've heard of jargons like sweetspots and stuff and don't really know much about...

8. Don't be so naive as to think one factor overrides the other in the equation.

Of course the woods matter. Then again, the electronics matter. Then again, so does the bridge. And the strings. And your fingers...your technique...your amp....blah blah blah. :smug:

It's always kinda a crapshoot as to what will be the outcome of a project bass, and also realise what ultimately might wind up as *failure* on your part might sound like God to someone else.

Take the time and call Warmoth directly, and ask them questions. You are seeking out alot of generalizations in your tone quest, and not alot of "finality" in your decision(s). Going into a $$$ venture like this without your head on is a bad idea.

Why not just buy a JP Yamaha model? Just curious....

Why not look into what the Yamaha is made of if you like that tone?

And again, call Warmoth.

You want nice lows and a clean top? Go with a Koa body, a Goncalo Alves neck with a Pau Ferro fretboard. Good articulate pups like EMG or Barts or BassLines. ABM bridge... I dunno, just a few thoughts....

In the end, it'll be infinitely more satisfying on a personal level to actually assemble the bass of your dreams... good luck on that.

Ron

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I think what Groovecenter was stating was that IHO the finger board wood wouldn't have a large impact on the sound. IMO the body and neck wood have a great deal of impact on the sound of the bass. While I feel that the finger board wood and body top wood (depending on thickness) have less affect on the overall sound than the main neck and body core wood, I do feel that they can add or subtract focus to the sound of the instrument.
    You may want to consider a wenge/bubinga/ebony neck. I just recieved one from Warmoth and it really produces a phat sound. Also very stable and doesn't required any type of hard finish. As far as choice of P/U's, if you want warm, go with Barts. Bright, EMG or Basslines. Pre-amp, with Bart P/U's - Bart 3-band or Aguilar OBP-3 for agressive sounds and Demeter for a warmer more nuetral sound. With the EMG or Bassline P/U's - I'd stay with each of their repective pre's although I've used the Demeter with the EMG's with good results.

10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i can vouch for the koa body and pau ferro fretboard . :D
    { EMG pickups are very bright sounding by themselves , i'd go with the Bartolini's or BassLines ... jmo .}

take your time , call Warmoth { maybe even Nino-Brown , he builds some beautiful basses } . :cool: