1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help in choosing replacement for Littlemark Amp Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wheelsup247, Jun 22, 2017.

1. wheelsup247

wheelsup247 Supporting Member

I purchased an as new Littlemark II from a reputable dealer, and it was dead on arrival. I own two Markbass 604s (4x6" speaker cab, 600w at 8 ohms) and need something to drive them with a good DI. I play a 5 string. When I went to purchase the Littlemark III I was disappointed to see they are now "Designed in Italy and Manufactured in Indonesia". That was a game changer. I like a classic tone and am considering the Ampeg Portaflex...does any one know if these are made in the USA? Also, any other recommendations on new amps for less than $700 would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. wheelsup247

Nevermind on Portaflex. They are manufactured in China. I am looking for a USA (or at least not Indonesian) made bass amp head.

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Depending on your tone goals, Aguilar, GK, and Mesa are all US made and offer some very nice choices in your price range. To my ear the Aguilar Tone Hammer and Mesa D-800/800+ will be the closest to voicing you described. The GK MB heads are nice as well, but offer their own "classic" tone which is a bit different.

That said, I think Ampeg makes very nice equipment and if it's what you like, I wouldn't let the country of manufacture be a deal breaker.

4. wheelsup247

Thanks for the information. Looks like it will be Aguilar, GK, or Mesa for me. I'm personally just not fond of gear manufactured in Indonesia or China.

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I own products from those companies because I like how they sound, but have to admit that I too have a preference for Made in America when shopping.